Mass dimension of coupling constant -- always an integer?

In summary, the conversation discusses the dimension of coupling constants and how it relates to the construction of a Lagrangian with an interaction term involving spin-1 particles and fermions. It is determined that the dimension must be an integer in order to maintain Lorentz invariance. The implications of having an odd number of fermions in the Lagrangian, including violating the principle of microcausality, are also discussed. Ultimately, it is concluded that it does not make sense to have a Lagrangian with an odd number of fermions.
guest1234
Just a simple question -- can the dimension of coupling constant be a rational number or should it always be an integer?

The question arose when I was trying to construct a Lagrangian with an interaction term involving two spin-1 particles and a fermion. The dimensions add up to 7/2, which leaves 1/2 for the coupling.

Physics news on Phys.org
Any Lagrangian with an odd number of fermions will not be a Lorentz scalar. Therefore you will always end up with an even number of fermions leading to an integer mass dimension.

Thinking beyond SM, what are the physical consequences if the Lagrangian contains an interaction term with an odd number (i.e. only one) of fermions?

Going beyond the SM does not help (in fact, this was my assumption in my first post, in the SM there definitely are no such interactions), your Lagrangian will still not be a Lorentz scalar. You simply cannot do this within the confinements of QFT without breaking Lorentz invariance.

Well I was thinking whether it'd be pseudoscalar (that shouldn't be any big problem -- if we really want a parity violating theory). I just thought about gauge transformations, and yup, you were right -- the term wouldn't transform as a (pseudo)scalar but as a spinor. Adding scalar and spinor terms together doesn't make any sense, even mathematically.
Thanks anyways

Last edited:
If the Lagrangian has a term with an odd number of fermion fields, so will have the Hamiltonian, representing energy density. Then due to the canonical equal-time anticommutators for fermions, in general the commutator of the Hamiltonian at equal times in general won't commute, which violates the principle of microcausality, which is pretty bad, because the the time ordering appearing in the S matrix won't be Lorentz invariant anymore, and you'd loose causality (and perhaps unitarity) of the S matrix.

To keep the story short: It simply doesn't make much sense :-).

1. What is the mass dimension of a coupling constant?

The mass dimension of a coupling constant refers to the power of mass in the unit of the coupling constant. It is a measure of the strength of the interaction between particles.

2. Why is the mass dimension of a coupling constant always an integer?

This is because the coupling constant is a dimensionless quantity. In order for the units to cancel out and for the equation to be consistent, the mass dimension of the coupling constant must be an integer.

3. How does the mass dimension of a coupling constant affect particle interactions?

The mass dimension of a coupling constant is directly related to the strength of the interaction between particles. A larger mass dimension means a stronger interaction and vice versa.

4. Can the mass dimension of a coupling constant change?

No, the mass dimension of a coupling constant is a fundamental property of the constant and cannot be changed.

5. How is the mass dimension of a coupling constant determined?

The mass dimension of a coupling constant is determined experimentally through measuring the strength of particle interactions and analyzing the resulting equations.