Mass/energy as a condition of spacetime

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter FayeKane
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Condition Spacetime
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
FayeKane
Messages
31
Reaction score
0
Mass/energy as a "condition of spacetime"

I recently read somewhere (I think here) that mass is not something you "drop into" space, rather it's a condition of space, and that gravity waves are also a "condition of space".

a) is this correct?

b) If so, is it more generally correct to say that mass/energy is a "condition of spacetime", and specifically that the invariant-mass component is a condition of space, while the energy component† is a condition of time?

c) if question b) is in fact meaningless, is there a way to rephrase the statement "mass is a condition of space" so that it that it involves time as well as space?

†I forget whatever you call relativistic mass minus invariant mass because I'm Alzhammered.

--flk
 
Physics news on Phys.org


FK,

I wish you remembered where you read the observation on mass/energy/gravity/space. I would like to read it.

Space is the bete noir of relativity theoretics.

1. The physical characteristics of actual space are never well defined.
2. All references to relativity space are abstractions, i.e. imaginary geometries.
3. To conceal this fundamental flaw in the corpus of relativity theoretics, a sleight of hand, spacetime is used exclusively.
4. Mass/energy/gravity are trivial without a well articulated definition of actual space.

To answer your question both mass & energy are fundamentally related to space. Time is an abstraction.

Thanks for an insightful post,

d