1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mass m suspended by two springs in series

1. Oct 27, 2012 #1
    Hello guys i'm desperately trying to understand the solution of this assignement .
    What would be the differential equation og this Simple Harmonic Motion when you have a mass m suspended to 2 springs in series ?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 27, 2012 #2
    [kx - mg = m (dv/dt) = m(d sqaure x/dt)]

4. Oct 27, 2012 #3

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

If the springs are considered massless, what do you think the relationship would be between the tensions in the two springs?

5. Oct 27, 2012 #4
    yes the springs are massless, i got this answer from a textbook : the tension is uniform in the upper spring and has a magnitude of kx, hence the tension in the lower spring also has a magnitude of kx
    the displacement of M is 2x.
    the diff eq is :
    M2(dx²)/(dt) + kx = 0

Why 2 in the first argument and not in the second since we have two springs.

6. Oct 27, 2012 #5

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

See if you can figure out what the effective spring constant is for the two springs in series.

7. Oct 27, 2012 #6
    that's the problem my friend :( it's the reverse of series resistors on a circuit.
    K (equivalent) = (k1k2)/(k1 + k2)
    But i don't know how to get to it. maybe by moving backward

8. Oct 27, 2012 #7

Doc Al

Compare the force stretching the springs to the overall amount of stretch. How does the overall system stretch compare to that of each spring?

9. Oct 27, 2012 #8
    How ?

10. Oct 27, 2012 #9

Doc Al

Imagine two springs in series, with spring constants k1 and k2. A force F stretches the two springs, thus F = k1x1 = k2x2.

For the system as a whole, you have:
    F = k'(xtotal)

See if you can solve for k'.

11. Oct 27, 2012 #10
    how can i get rid of x1 and x2 ?

12. Oct 27, 2012 #11

Doc Al

Express them in terms of F and k.

13. Oct 27, 2012 #12
    Thanks i did it with your big help, but i still don't understand this case when k1=k2 and x1=x2 because in my problem the two springs have the same k and since they are massless they'll be stretchend with the same x making a total of 2x in the displacement.
    Why in the first argument of the diff eq we have M2(dx²)/(dt) and in the 2nd we just have kx not 2kx ?

14. Oct 27, 2012 #13
    It's okay now i totally got it thank you very much for your help :) please tell me which degree do you have ?

15. Oct 27, 2012 #14

Doc Al

When k1 = k2, k' = k/2.
    d2x/dt2 + k'x = 0

d2x/dt2 + (k/2)x = 0

Multiply both sides by 2!

Edit: Looks like you figured it out while I was typing this.

16. Oct 27, 2012 #15
    Thanks again

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook