Mass Moment of Inertia of Triangle about its tip

In summary, luznyr tried to find the mass moment of inertia about the tip of a triangle, but wasn't sure how to do it. He found that the letter T is the vertex of the triangle, and used the parallel axis theorem to find the new axis. Excellent work!
luznyr

Homework Statement

Find the mass moment of inertia about the tip T (into the page). All dimensions are in mm, and the density is 7820 kg/m^3. The thickness of the triangle is 10mm

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to do a triple integration over dV (as density is constant) and made r^2=x^2+y^2, then multiplied my final answer by the density. I used limits of 0 to 0.01 for dz, 0 to 0.1 for dx and -0.4x to 0.4x for dy. I'm not really sure if this was the correct method, does anyone have any other ideas? Thanks in advance. [my answer was 1.647x10^(-3) kgm^2]

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Attachments

• question.JPG
    question.JPG
    16.9 KB · Views: 6,051
Physics news on Phys.org
I do not see the letter T. Is this the vertex on the line of symmetry with the black dot?

There are standard formulae for mass moments of inertia (MMI) of triangles and circles about their centroids. You can apply the parallel axis theorem to transform the MMI into the new axis, unless it is coursework on calculus, in which case you may need to go through all the motions of integration.

Google mass moments of intertia and see if it gets you anywhere.

Last edited:
Yes, the letter T is the vertex of the triangle. It's not for a calculus course but the problem states that we need to use integration.

Excellent work, luznyr. Your answer is correct, ignoring the holes. Your method is correct.

alright thanks for that. the removal of the holes was a later part of the question, and the parallel axis theorem can be used for that.

Hi luznyr,

Nice work :) I'm just a bit confused here, because I did it by another method and got a slightly different answer..

Consider a thin vertical strip with area dA = x / 100 * 80 * dx
therefore volume dV = x / 100 * 80 * dx * t

and IT = integral ( r^2 dm) over volume
= integral (rho * r^2 * dV) over volume
= integral (x / 100 * 80 * t * x^2 * dx), x = 0 to 100
= 0.001572 kgm^2

I would appreciate a clarification ;)

alias99: Although the problem statement in post 1 is unclear, luznyr is asking for the polar mass moment of inertia about a z axis passing through point T. The z axis is normal to the plane of the page. Your derivation is correct for the rectangular mass moment of inertia about a y-axis passing through point T (except you inadvertently omitted rho from one of your equations, and secondly, your answer is slightly inaccurate and should instead be 0.001564 kg*m^2.)

can u show exactly how u did it? I am curious haha.. triple integration about dV..

nvn, you're right.. I made 3 mistakes :redface:

1. should be Z-axis through T
2. I missed rho in an equation..haha..
3. I used 7860 instead of the correct density, 7820

I did it by luznyr's method and got his answer..Thank you very much for your help nvn, you saved me :smile:

1. What is the definition of mass moment of inertia of a triangle about its tip?

The mass moment of inertia of a triangle about its tip is a measure of the triangle's resistance to rotational motion about an axis passing through its tip. It is a property that depends on the triangle's mass distribution and the distance of the mass from the axis of rotation.

2. How is the mass moment of inertia of a triangle about its tip calculated?

The mass moment of inertia of a triangle about its tip can be calculated using the formula I = (1/12) * m * h^2, where m is the mass of the triangle and h is the distance from the tip to the base of the triangle. This formula assumes that the triangle is a uniform shape with a constant thickness.

3. How does the mass distribution of a triangle affect its mass moment of inertia about its tip?

The farther the mass of the triangle is from the axis of rotation, the higher the mass moment of inertia will be. This means that a triangle with a more spread out mass distribution will have a higher mass moment of inertia compared to a triangle with a more concentrated mass distribution.

4. Can the mass moment of inertia of a triangle about its tip change?

Yes, the mass moment of inertia of a triangle about its tip can change if the mass or the distribution of the mass changes. For example, if more mass is added to one side of the triangle, the mass moment of inertia will increase.

5. What are some practical applications of knowing the mass moment of inertia of a triangle about its tip?

The mass moment of inertia of a triangle about its tip is an important factor to consider in engineering and physics applications involving rotational motion. It is used in the design of structures such as bridges and buildings to ensure stability and in the analysis of rotating objects such as propellers and turbines. It is also important in understanding the behavior of objects in motion, such as a spinning top or a gymnast performing a somersault.