Area moment of inertia of inverted triangle?

In summary, we are discussing an inverted isosceles triangle gate with specific dimensions that is submerged 6ft under water. We are trying to find the force on the gate and the depth of the center of pressure. Using the equations for depth and force, we are able to calculate the force on the gate to be 1310 lb. We are also trying to understand why the moment of inertia does not depend on whether the triangle is inverted or not, and have found that it does not, as it only depends on the shape. After further research and calculations, we have determined that the formula for the moment of inertia is indeed valid for both a flat bottom and inverted isosceles triangle.
LFS

Homework Statement

A inverted isosceles triangle gate with height a=3ft and base b=2ft is 6ft under the water (top of the inverted triangle). Find the Force on the gate and hp (the depth of the) center of pressure.

Homework Equations

hc= depth to gate + depth to centroid= 6+(1/3)•3= 6+1 = 7
Force = γ hc A = 62.4 • 7 • (0.5•2•3) = 1310 lb
Area Moment of Inertia of Triangle = Ic =ba³/36
So hp = hc + Ic/(hc•A) = 7 + [2*3³/36/(7*0.5*2*3)] = 7.07 ft

The Attempt at a Solution

What I don't understand is why Ic does not depends on whether the triangle is inverted or not. I looked >10 sites and always the triangle is "base down" and ALL of the other figures are symmetric so I cannot compare. (Sorry cannot put in sample link from wikipedia.)

I am a mathematician trying to help my son (studying engineering). I cannot find an integral for this to test how the "area of moment of inertia" is calculated (and I don't really understand what it is as I do with the centroid).

Thanks for any help. Linda

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Linda! :smile:
LFS said:
What I don't understand is why Ic does not depends on whether the triangle is inverted or not. I looked >10 sites and always the triangle is "base down" and ALL of the other figures are symmetric so I cannot compare. (Sorry cannot put in sample link from wikipedia.)

I don't really understand why you think it would depend on anything other than shape. :confused:

You can find information on the second moment of area (area moment of inertia) at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_moment_of_area and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_area_moments_of_inertia

Hiya Tiny
Thank-you for your response. Those were exactly the links I was going to put in (but wasn't allowed).

The reason I ask is that the centroid of a triangle is 1/3 of the height measured FROM the base (i.e. from the weighted position of the triangle).
So the (depth of the) centroid is NOT the same for an inverted triangle.

Gate is inverted triangle => hc=6+(1/3)3=6+1=7
Gate is NOT inverted triangle => hc=6+(2/3)3=6+2=8

So why doesn't the second moment depend on the "weighted" position of the triangle.
I understand that I may be mixing apples and oranges, it just doesn't fit in my head.

Thanks again, Linda

LFS said:
The reason I ask is that the centroid of a triangle is 1/3 of the height measured FROM the base (i.e. from the weighted position of the triangle).
So the (depth of the) centroid is NOT the same for an inverted triangle.

No, the base is any of the three sides of the triangle, and then the height is as measured perpendicularly from that side.

As I said, moment of area only depends on the shape. :smile:

Hiya TinyTim,
I am sure you are absolutely correct that the area moment of inertia Ic depends only on shape. However, "area moment of inertia" is just 4 words to me (no physical meaning). Meanwhile, I did find the integral formula for computing the center of pressure (Fox) and calculated it using both a flat bottom and inverted isosceles triangle and then using the "area moment of inertia". Of course you get different depths from the centroid, but in both cases the formula Ic=WL³/36 wrt the centroid is indeed valid. I am sure it is of no interest to anyone, but I wrote it down and published it in scribd: doc/93403575. So I am happy :). Thanks again!

1. What is the formula for calculating the area moment of inertia of an inverted triangle?

The formula for calculating the area moment of inertia of an inverted triangle is: I = (bh^3)/36, where b is the base of the triangle and h is the height.

2. How is the area moment of inertia of an inverted triangle different from that of a regular triangle?

The area moment of inertia of an inverted triangle is different from that of a regular triangle because the inverted triangle has a different centroid location and orientation, resulting in a different distribution of mass. This affects the moment of inertia calculation, resulting in a different value.

3. How does the shape of an inverted triangle affect its area moment of inertia?

The shape of an inverted triangle affects its area moment of inertia because it determines the distribution of mass and the location of the centroid. The farther the centroid is from the base, the higher the value of the area moment of inertia will be.

4. What are the units for the area moment of inertia of an inverted triangle?

The units for the area moment of inertia of an inverted triangle are length to the fourth power (L^4). This is because the formula for area moment of inertia includes the dimensions of length cubed (L^3) and the final value is squared.

5. How is the area moment of inertia of an inverted triangle used in engineering and design?

The area moment of inertia of an inverted triangle is an important parameter in engineering and design because it helps determine the resistance of a structure to bending or buckling. It is used in the design of beams, columns, and other structural elements to ensure that they can withstand the applied loads without failing.