Moment of inertia avoid double integral?

In summary: Thanks for pointing that out!In summary, the homework statement is to determine the moment of inertia of the shaded area about the x-axis.
Pascal1p

Homework Statement

proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Fi.stack.imgur.com%2FsqZ9I.jpg

Determine the moment of inertia of the shaded area about the x-axis.

Homework Equations

I(x)= y^2dA

The Attempt at a Solution

In order to determine the moment of inertia of the shaded area about the x-axis I first looked at the portion above the x-axis, integrate it with a small rectangular element and then because of the symmetry I would multiply it with 2. So:
3x8ze.png
mFGRzXL.png

Yet if I integrate that with those limits and then multiply it with 2 and insert B= a/2
I do not get (a-sin (a))(r^4)/8. The answer I would get if I just use ∫∫((r*sinθ)^2)rdθdr. Which is the correct answer.

But why doesn't it work?

Physics news on Phys.org
Pascal1p said:
But why doesn't it work?
It does. I checked. It's just that the integral is messy, so it's easy to make an error somewhere along the way.
Start with this, then apply that indefinite integral formula at the integration limits. The trick that cleans it up a lot is that
$$\tan^{-1}\left(\frac{R\sin\theta}{\sqrt{R^2-(R\sin \theta)^2)}}\right)=\theta$$

andrewkirk said:
It does. I checked. It's just that the integral is messy, so it's easy to make an error somewhere along the way.
Start with this, then apply that indefinite integral formula at the integration limits. The trick that cleans it up a lot is that
$$\tan^{-1}\left(\frac{R\sin\theta}{\sqrt{R^2-(R\sin \theta)^2)}}\right)=\theta$$

But where then does this inconsistency come from? My book gives some standard integrals and one of them was ∫x^2√(a^2-x^2)dx= -(x/4)√((a^2-x^2)^3)+ (a^2/8)(x√(a^2-x^2)+a^2sin^-1 (x/a) + C, a>0

The weird thing is that wolfram-alpha gives this long answer when you substitute 'a' with an actual number, like 9. But when you use just 'a' or substitute it with 'R', it gives a different form. The one with the tan^-1 which you just mentioned.

So I thought the answer you get when you use wolfram with y^2* sqrt(R^2-y^2) is wrong. That he might see R as something it is not, like a function related to y. Instead of the constant value that it is.

So why is -(x/4)√((a^2-x^2)^3)+ (a^2/8)(x√(a^2-x^2)+a^2sin^-1 (x/a) + C not the correct solution to the integral?

Pascal1p said:
The weird thing is that wolfram-alpha gives this long answer when you substitute 'a' with an actual number, like 9.
It didn't do that for me.

Pascal1p said:
So why is -(x/4)√((a^2-x^2)^3)+ (a^2/8)(x√(a^2-x^2)+a^2sin^-1 (x/a) + C not the correct solution to the integral?
Because when you differentiate it you do not get x^2√(a^2-x^2).
I did this by hand and it did not come out, and Wolfram Alpha agrees. Perhaps your text contains an error, or perhaps you have miscopied the formula.

andrewkirk said:
It didn't do that for me.

Because when you differentiate it you do not get x^2√(a^2-x^2).
I did this by hand and it did not come out, and Wolfram Alpha agrees. Perhaps your text contains an error, or perhaps you have miscopied the formula.

Well, the link you send, in which you said it did not do that for you. It also gives an arcsin and looked similair to what book give so I thought they were same without really checking.

I did miss a parenthesis in the end, but still what the book says does not seem the same.
vyxjkrW.png

Pascal1p said:
Well, the link you send, in which you said it did not do that for you. It also gives an arcsin
Recall your trig identities, in particular that ##\sin^{-1}\frac xa=\tan^{-1}\frac x{\sqrt{a^2-x^2}}##
and looked similair to what book give so I thought they were same without really checking.

I did miss a parenthesis in the end
Yes, and it was the missing parenthesis that led you to thinking the book suggested a different answer.
but still what the book says does not seem the same.
It is the same. A little algebra demonstrates that. Start by taking ##\sqrt{(a^2-x^2)^2}## out of the first term in the book and combining it with the second term (the first term in the big parenthesis on the next line).

The lesson to take from this is that if you have a messy calculation that you believe should come out to a particular result and it doesn't, set your work out in full detail and check every step for things like misplaced parentheses and wrong signs. One tiny error is all that's needed to make the whole thing fail.

andrewkirk said:
Recall your trig identities, in particular that ##\sin^{-1}\frac xa=\tan^{-1}\frac x{\sqrt{a^2-x^2}}##

Yes, and it was the missing parenthesis that led you to thinking the book suggested a different answer.
It is the same. A little algebra demonstrates that. Start by taking ##\sqrt{(a^2-x^2)^2}## out of the first term in the book and combining it with the second term (the first term in the big parenthesis on the next line).

The lesson to take from this is that if you have a messy calculation that you believe should come out to a particular result and it doesn't, set your work out in full detail and check every step for things like misplaced parentheses and wrong signs. One tiny error is all that's needed to make the whole thing fail.

Yeah you are right, I see now how the integral with sin^-1 and tan^-1 are the same. But so that whole integral 2∫(y^2√(R^2-y^2)+y^3/tan(a/2))dy with limits 0 to Rsin(a/2) will clean up to r^4/8(a-sin(a))? Because that I do not see.

Pascal1p said:
But so that whole integral 2∫(y^2√(R^2-y^2)+y^3/tan(a/2))dy with limits 0 to Rsin(a/2) will clean up to r^4/8(a-sin(a))? Because that I do not see.
Post your attempt to demonstrate this. Start by writing out the expression for the definite integral with the given limits. Then simplify. I or somebody else may help you if you get stuck. Using latex to make your formulas easy to read will greatly increase the chance of receiving help.

This is to where I have simplified it:
5nirwaE.jpg

So how to simplify this further to r^4/8(a-sin(a))

No one :(?

What is moment of inertia?

Moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotational motion. It is dependent on an object's mass, shape, and the axis of rotation.

Why is a double integral needed to calculate moment of inertia?

A double integral is needed because it takes into account the distribution of mass throughout an object and how it is affected by rotation. This is necessary because different parts of an object can have different distances from the axis of rotation, resulting in different moments of inertia.

How is moment of inertia calculated using a double integral?

The moment of inertia is calculated by taking the double integral of the square of the distance from the axis of rotation to each infinitesimal element of mass within the object, multiplied by the mass of that element. This is then summed up for all elements of mass within the object.

What are some applications of moment of inertia?

Moment of inertia is used in many engineering and physics applications, such as designing structures to resist rotational forces, analyzing the behavior of rotating machinery, and understanding the movement of objects in space.

Can moment of inertia be negative?

No, moment of inertia cannot be negative. It is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in rotational motion and therefore must always be a positive value.