Mass of charged particle in magnetic field

In summary, a charged particle with a kinetic energy of 0.115905 J and a charge of 1.56024 μC is placed in a uniform magnetic field of 0.150267 T. By using the equations Fe= qvB and KE=mv^2/2, it is possible to solve for the mass of the particle, which is 3e-9 kg, and its velocity, which is 9503.84615 m/s. The problem does not involve electric fields, so only equations 3 and 4 are relevant. By substituting and solving the equations, the unknowns can be determined.
rinarez7
1. A 1.56024 μC charged particle with a kinetic
energy of 0.115905 J is placed in a uniform
magnetic field of magnitude 0.150267 T.
If the particle moves in a circular path of
radius 3.13685 m, find its mass. Answer in
units of kg.

Homework Equations

Fe= Fm
Fe= qE
KE=mv^2/2
Fm= qvB= mv^2/r

3. I decided to first find E: E =Ke (q/r^2)= 8.98e10 (1.5602e-6 C/3.13685^2)=1425.455

Then I solved for Fe= qE= 1425.455 (1.5602e-6)= 2.2239e-3= Fm

Then I used Fm= qvB and solved for v = 9503.84615 m/s
Then I used KE = mv^2/2 to sove for m = KE(2)/ v^2= (0.115905)(2)/ (9503.84615 m/s )^2=3e-9 kg=m
But this isn't correct. What am I missing here? Thank you in advance for any help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Your work is a little tough to follow, but it is worth noting that this problem has nothing to do with electric fields, only magnetic ones. So, I'll help you out by saying that only equations 3 and 4 under your list of relevant equations are actually relevant.

So would I be able to solve equations 3 and 4 somehow to find mass and velocity? Those are my two unknowns. I need velocity to solve for mass.
Is there another relationship I am missing to help me solve for velocity?

Well you have equations 3 and 4, and only two unknowns like you say, m and v. 2 equations 2 unknowns sounds like a solvable system to me. (Try substitution!)

Substitution worked wonderfully! Thanks again!

What is a charged particle in a magnetic field?

A charged particle in a magnetic field is a particle that has an electric charge and is subjected to a magnetic field. This means that the particle will experience a force due to the interaction between its charge and the magnetic field.

How is the mass of a charged particle in a magnetic field calculated?

The mass of a charged particle in a magnetic field can be calculated using the formula m = qB/v, where m is the mass, q is the charge of the particle, B is the strength of the magnetic field, and v is the velocity of the particle.

What is the effect of a magnetic field on a charged particle?

A magnetic field can exert a force on a charged particle, causing it to move in a circular or helical path. The direction and magnitude of the force depend on the charge of the particle, the strength and direction of the magnetic field, and the velocity of the particle.

How does the mass of a charged particle affect its motion in a magnetic field?

The mass of a charged particle affects its motion in a magnetic field by determining the strength of the force it experiences. A particle with a higher mass will experience a smaller force and therefore move in a larger radius, while a particle with a lower mass will experience a larger force and move in a smaller radius.

What are some practical applications of studying the mass of charged particles in magnetic fields?

Studying the mass of charged particles in magnetic fields is important in many fields such as particle accelerators, magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) machines, and space exploration. It also helps in understanding the behavior of ions in plasma and the dynamics of charged particles in Earth's magnetic field.