Mass of Photon: What's the Proper Explanation?

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter swampwiz
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Mass Photon
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
swampwiz
Messages
567
Reaction score
83
I read an internet meme:

Photons have mass? I didn't even know they were Catholic.

I was going to respond that photons are "massless" particles, but then I realized that photons have energy, and thus must have mass.

What's the proper explanation here?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
swampwiz said:
then I realized that photons have energy, and thus must have mass.

What's the proper explanation here?

The mass ##m## is not equivalent to the energy ##E##. In other words, ##m \neq E/c^2##. Instead, ##m^2=(E/c^2)^2-(p/c)^2##

A system consisting of a single photon has zero mass because its energy ##E## is equal to its momentum ##pc##.