Mass sliding down an incline plane(with friction)

In summary, the problem involves a mass sliding down an incline plane with friction, starting at rest at a height of h1 + h2 and sliding off a ramp at height h1. The coefficient of friction, mu, is given and the velocity vector of the mass at height h1 needs to be found. The magnitude of the frictional force is represented by F(friction) and N is the normal force exerted by the incline plane. The solution involves finding the acceleration using the x and y components, integrating to obtain the velocity, and using trigonometric functions to convert the angle theta into the given heights. The final velocity vector is found to be v= g*t*h2/(h2^2+x^2
Benzoate

Homework Statement

A mass slides on an incline plane with friction at an angle theta from the horizontal. The mass starts at rest at a height of h1 + h2 and then slides off a ramp at height h1.

a) If the coefficient of friction when a block is sliding down a plane is mu, what is the velocity vector of the mass when the mass is at height h1 ?(as the mass leaves the ramp?) Assume that the magnitude of the frictional force takes standard form F(frictional), N being the normal force exerted by the incline plane of the ramp

b) How far does the mass travel before it hits the ground?

Homework Equations

my_solution
a)

x component: mg*sin(theta)-F(friction)=m*a

y component: N-m*g*cos(theta)=0 ==> N= m*g*cos(theta)

mg*sin(theta)-mu*m*g*cos(theta) ==> a=g*sin(theta)-mu*g*cos(theta)

I now integrate a to obtain v and I have:

v= g*t*sin(theta)-mu*g*cos(theta)

from the figure, I can convert my sin(theta) into h2/(h2^2+x^2)^(1/2) and same thing with my cos(theta);

Therefore, v=g*t*h2/(h2^2+x^2)^(1/2)+ mu*g*x/(h2^2+x^2)^(1/2)

b) delta(x) is a little bit trickier to calculate.

x component: v(x)=v1*cos(theta)
F=m*dv(x)/dt = 0 since now that the mass is not supported by an inclined plane the only force acting on it is gravity.

delta(x)=(v1*cos(theta)*delta(t)

y component: F=m*dv(y)/dt=-m*g, v(y)=v(0y)-g*delta(t)
delta(y)=v(0y)*t-.5*g*(delta(t))^2

-h1=-(v1*sin(theta))*delta(t)-.5*g*t^2

(delta(t))^2+(2*v1*sin(theta)/g)*delta(t)-2*h1/g=0

using the quadratic formula , my delta(t) is:

delta(t)=(2*v1*sin(theta)/g) +- sqrt((2*v1*sin(theta)+4*(2*h1/g))/2

now delta(x)=v1*cos(theta)*delta(t) and I can easily plug in v1 from part a to calculate delta(x)

Is my solution correct?

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
anyone not understand my question?

Hi Benzoate,

Benzoate said:

Homework Statement

A mass slides on an incline plane with friction at an angle theta from the horizontal. The mass starts at rest at a height of h1 + h2 and then slides off a ramp at height h1.

a) If the coefficient of friction when a block is sliding down a plane is mu, what is the velocity vector of the mass when the mass is at height h1 ?(as the mass leaves the ramp?) Assume that the magnitude of the frictional force takes standard form F(frictional), N being the normal force exerted by the incline plane of the ramp

b) How far does the mass travel before it hits the ground?

Homework Equations

my_solution
a)

x component: mg*sin(theta)-F(friction)=m*a

y component: N-m*g*cos(theta)=0 ==> N= m*g*cos(theta)

mg*sin(theta)-mu*m*g*cos(theta) ==> a=g*sin(theta)-mu*g*cos(theta)

I now integrate a to obtain v and I have:

v= g*t*sin(theta)-mu*g*cos(theta)

from the figure, I can convert my sin(theta) into h2/(h2^2+x^2)^(1/2) and same thing with my cos(theta);

Therefore, v=g*t*h2/(h2^2+x^2)^(1/2)+ mu*g*x/(h2^2+x^2)^(1/2)

It appears that you have time in your equation; I believe they would want the answer to only involve quantities which they mention in the problem statement.

The acceleration you found looks right; so how can you use that to find the velocity at the end of the ramp?

(Also, they mention they want the velocity vector, which I would think either means magnitude or direction, or in i-hat,j-hat form, depending on your instructor. But maybe you already had that in mind?)

1. How does friction affect the speed of a mass sliding down an incline plane?

Friction acts in the opposite direction of motion and reduces the speed of a mass sliding down an incline plane. This is because friction converts some of the kinetic energy into heat energy.

2. What factors affect the acceleration of a mass sliding down an incline plane?

The acceleration of a mass sliding down an incline plane is affected by the angle of the incline, the mass of the object, and the coefficient of friction between the object and the incline. A steeper incline, a heavier mass, and a higher coefficient of friction will result in a greater acceleration.

3. How do you calculate the force of friction on a mass sliding down an incline plane?

The force of friction can be calculated using the formula Ff = µN, where µ is the coefficient of friction and N is the normal force acting on the object. The normal force can be calculated by multiplying the mass of the object by the cosine of the angle of the incline.

4. Can the mass ever reach a constant speed while sliding down an incline plane with friction?

No, the mass will never reach a constant speed while sliding down an incline plane with friction. This is because friction always acts in the opposite direction of motion, causing the speed to decrease over time.

5. How does the angle of the incline affect the work done by friction on a mass sliding down an incline plane?

The angle of the incline does not affect the work done by friction on a mass sliding down an incline plane. The work done by friction is only dependent on the displacement of the object and the force of friction, which is constant regardless of the angle of the incline.