Mass spring system - unknown spring constant

In summary, the problem involves finding the spring constant k1 for a mass spring system with a natural frequency of 10 s-1, where k1=2k2 and m=1kg. The equation wn=(k/m).5 is used to solve for k1, resulting in k1 = 40 N/m. However, the solution states that k1 should be 250 N/m, indicating a fundamental misunderstanding with mass spring systems. After clarification that the pulley mass is less, it is determined that the overall spring constant is incorrect due to an error in combining equivalent spring constants in parallel.
Devtycoon

Homework Statement

Problem: [/B]
Given the mass spring system solve for k1
Snapshot.jpg

The natural frequency wn = 10 s-1
k1=2k2
m=1kg

Homework Equations

wn=(k/m).5

The Attempt at a Solution

solve for k1

m x w2n =2.5k1
k1 = 40 N/mNote: I calculate 40 N/m and the solution states 250 N/m. I think I am having a fundamental misunderstanding with mass spring systems.
Snapshot.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
Is the pulley mass less?

yes, I should have put that in the problem stmt.

Your determination of the overall spring constant is incorrect. The 2.5 should be in the denominator.

Chet

Any particular reason?

Devtycoon said:
Any particular reason?
Show us what you did, and I'll show you where you made your error.

1. What is a mass spring system?

A mass spring system is a physical system that consists of a mass attached to a spring. The mass is able to move freely along a horizontal surface, while the spring provides a restoring force that allows the mass to oscillate back and forth around an equilibrium position.

2. How does the spring constant affect the mass spring system?

The spring constant, also known as the stiffness constant, is a measure of how easy or difficult it is to stretch or compress a spring. In a mass spring system, a higher spring constant means that the spring will exert a stronger restoring force, resulting in faster oscillations and shorter periods of motion.

3. How do you calculate the spring constant in a mass spring system?

The spring constant can be calculated by dividing the force applied to the spring by the displacement of the spring from its equilibrium position. This can be expressed as k = F/x, where k is the spring constant, F is the force applied, and x is the displacement.

4. What happens to a mass spring system when the spring constant is unknown?

When the spring constant is unknown, the system becomes more complex as it introduces an additional variable. The behavior of the system will depend on the specific values of the mass, initial position, and initial velocity, and it may require more advanced mathematical techniques to analyze and predict its motion.

5. How can the spring constant be determined in a mass spring system with an unknown value?

One way to determine the spring constant in an unknown mass spring system is by conducting experiments. By measuring the displacement and force applied to the spring at different points, the spring constant can be calculated using the formula k = F/x. Another approach is to use computer simulations or mathematical modeling to analyze the system and determine the spring constant.