Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mass warping time, question/ interpretation

1. Jun 23, 2009 #1

kmv

Does mass warp time because there is no time contained within the mass itself? (making a gradient like hot flows to cold sort of thing, except its time flowing to mass)

My assumption is that gravity is the measurement of the warping of time, and as you get closer to the mass, gravity is increasing, because time is warping more there.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 24, 2009 #2
    I think I see what you're trying to say... it honestly doesn't make much sense. I think your impression is that mass flows through space and time as a rock flows through a stream. The problem is, a rock displaces water. It is completely different situation for something traveling in a dimension. Mass doesn't 'displace' time, it travels through it.

4. Jun 24, 2009 #3

kmv

thank you for the reply benk, i realize that the mass isn't displacing time, i was more asking if time is flowing into the mass. If mass is 3d, than does it not contain time because time is the 4th dimension? (creating a warping of time called gravity?)

i might just be asking the same question, further explanation would be greatly appreciated

5. Jun 25, 2009 #4

Matterwave

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What?

How does time "flow" into any region of space?

I think you are confusing time with some kind of matter, which it is not (definitely not).

6. Jun 25, 2009 #5

kmv

So far i have learned that "flow" is not the right word to use haha. This question is somewhat related to the first posts:

i'm more asking something like this, say i have 2 parrellel 2d planes, that have a finite distance between them (in the 3rd D), but are infinitly long in their respective 2 dimemsions. As an observer of the two planes were to "zoom out", the finite distance between them would appear to decrease until there appeared to be only one plane. This would happen as the observer zooms out and relates the finite distance between the planes (the finite distance in the 3rd D) to an infinite distance in the 3rd D.

So, if two 3D masses are traveling through time and space on the same time-space plane, then do the two masses "go" together as that time plane extends toward infinity, as the two planes did as the observer zooms out.

I'm just trying to understand gravity a little better

7. Jun 25, 2009 #6

A.T.

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

8. Jun 25, 2009 #7

kmv

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook