Mass warping time, question/ interpretation

In summary, mass warps time because there is no time contained within the mass itself. This is similar to the way hot flows to cold, except time is warping to mass instead. Gravity is the measurement of the warping of time.
kmv
Does mass warp time because there is no time contained within the mass itself? (making a gradient like hot flows to cold sort of thing, except its time flowing to mass)

My assumption is that gravity is the measurement of the warping of time, and as you get closer to the mass, gravity is increasing, because time is warping more there.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think I see what you're trying to say... it honestly doesn't make much sense. I think your impression is that mass flows through space and time as a rock flows through a stream. The problem is, a rock displaces water. It is completely different situation for something traveling in a dimension. Mass doesn't 'displace' time, it travels through it.

thank you for the reply benk, i realize that the mass isn't displacing time, i was more asking if time is flowing into the mass. If mass is 3d, than does it not contain time because time is the 4th dimension? (creating a warping of time called gravity?)

i might just be asking the same question, further explanation would be greatly appreciated

What?

How does time "flow" into any region of space?

I think you are confusing time with some kind of matter, which it is not (definitely not).

So far i have learned that "flow" is not the right word to use haha. This question is somewhat related to the first posts:

i'm more asking something like this, say i have 2 parrellel 2d planes, that have a finite distance between them (in the 3rd D), but are infinitly long in their respective 2 dimemsions. As an observer of the two planes were to "zoom out", the finite distance between them would appear to decrease until there appeared to be only one plane. This would happen as the observer zooms out and relates the finite distance between the planes (the finite distance in the 3rd D) to an infinite distance in the 3rd D.

So, if two 3D masses are traveling through time and space on the same time-space plane, then do the two masses "go" together as that time plane extends toward infinity, as the two planes did as the observer zooms out.

I'm just trying to understand gravity a little better

1. What is mass warping time?

Mass warping time refers to the phenomenon in which the mass of an object can cause a distortion in the fabric of space-time, altering the perception of time for an observer near the object.

2. How does mass warp time?

According to Einstein's theory of general relativity, mass causes a curvature in space-time. This curvature can affect the path of light and time, making it appear to slow down or speed up for an observer near the mass.

3. Can we observe the effects of mass warping time?

Yes, we can observe the effects of mass warping time. One example is the phenomenon known as gravitational lensing, in which the gravity of a massive object, such as a galaxy, bends the light from objects behind it. This can cause a distortion in the appearance of the background objects, providing evidence of mass warping time.

4. Does the amount of mass affect the degree of time warping?

Yes, the amount of mass does affect the degree of time warping. The more massive an object is, the greater the distortion in space-time and the stronger the effects on time near the object.

5. Is time travel possible through mass warping time?

The concept of time travel through mass warping time is still a subject of debate in the scientific community. While some theories suggest that it may be possible, there is currently no scientific evidence to support it. It also raises questions about the possibility of paradoxes and the violation of the laws of physics. Further research is needed to fully understand the potential implications of mass warping time on time travel.