1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Master in Electrical Engineering from Physics degree

1. Apr 19, 2014 #1
    Dear all,

I am this dilemma. I found out that I am not suitable to be a physicist. I want to be an electrical engineer but it is too late to change to ee now. My plan is to finish my degree in Physics and Applied Math, then apply ee for master.

I want to know how can I do it, in order to fulfill this ambition.

I am desperate to know it. I don't have the driving force in the physics department now. I feel that what I am pursuing now is impossible to achieve. I feel very dry now. I don't have the purpose to go to the physics department. The only place that I can remain my sanity is in the physics lab I am working now. I was asked to build circuits. It's fun.

I need motivations and success stories, so that I can focus on my current degree.

Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 19, 2014 #2

jasonRF

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I am an EE that went to grad school with and work with quite a few physics BS turned EE MS / PhD. Working in a lab building circuits should give you a good recommendation letter when you apply to grad schools. If your university has an EE department it would be worth your time to talk to some faculty and take a course or two to prepare. Some branches of EE are highly mathematical (controls, communications, signal processing), some use a lot of physics (solid state devices, photonics, electromagnetics) , and some are more "enginering" (computer engineering, electronics). In all cases it sounds like your background is a reasonable match. You will certainly have some remedial undergrad courses to take, but which ones depends on your specialization.

Otherwise, this is very do-able. The combination of physics and applied math, combined with experience actually building circuits (which I didn't get that much of as an undergrad EE, believe it or not) places you in a good spot.

By the way I am in the US, other countries may have systems that view this differently.

I wish you the best,

jason

4. Apr 19, 2014 #3
    Thank you

Dear Jason,

Thanks a lot. It's good to know about it. My parents are not very supportive about it. They didn't know what to do. But, you gave me hope. Hope is strong.

I'm going to meet my physics adviser and rearrange my graduation plan soon. Planning to take more ee classes. I will email the ee department in my school. My applied math professors are supportive with my ambition. But physics professors have biased opinions (implying me to do physics for grad school)

Thank you. I really appreciate it.

5. Apr 19, 2014 #4
    My good friend just got accepted for a Phd in EE with a fellowship with a physics degree. He did not have that many Engineering courses at all. He was in fact a physics/ applied math double as well. Good luck to you.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook