Mastering Mathematical Notation on this Site: A Tutorial

• LaTeX
  • Thread starter scottshannon
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Latex
In summary, to format equations using LaTeX on this site, use the $ symbol to enclose your equation. You can also use double $$ symbols to display your equation centered and on a separate line. In the comments section, you can use LaTeX by following the same formatting as in posts, but keep in mind the character limit. No background in coding is needed to use LaTeX on this site, as the syntax is simple and can be learned quickly. To align multiple equations in a post, use the align environment. Resources and guides for learning LaTeX on this site can be found on the LaTeX website, as well as this site's help center and community forums.
scottshannon
Is there a tutorial to learn how to write equations and mathematical symbols on this site? I don't know how to write integral symbols, summation symbols, subscripts, exponents etc ...

Physics news on Phys.org
One way is to click on the ## \sum ## sign in the toolbar and use the symbols. Another way is learning to write LaTeX code(see ftp://ftp.ams.org/pub/tex/doc/amsmath/short-math-guide.pdf!).

The link you gave me didnt work...

What about this?

1. How do I format equations using LaTeX on this site?

To format equations using LaTeX, you can use the $ symbol to enclose your equation. For example, typing $x^2$ will display as x² in your post. You can also use double $$ symbols to display your equation centered and on a separate line.

2. Can I use LaTeX in the comments section on this site?

Yes, you can use LaTeX in the comments section by using the same formatting as in posts. However, keep in mind that the comments section has a character limit, so be concise with your equations.

3. Do I need to have a background in coding to use LaTeX on this site?

No, you do not need to have a background in coding to use LaTeX on this site. The syntax is relatively simple and can be learned quickly by following online tutorials or using the built-in equation editor.

4. How do I align multiple equations in a post using LaTeX?

To align multiple equations in a post using LaTeX, you can use the align environment. This allows you to align equations on the equal signs. For example:

\begin{align}x + y &= 5 \\2x - 3y &= 10\end{align}

5. Are there any resources or guides available for learning how to use LaTeX on this site?

Yes, there are many resources and guides available for learning how to use LaTeX on this site. You can find tutorials, forums, and documentation on the LaTeX website, as well as on this site's help center and community forums.