Electric field on the x-axis of a semicircle

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
eckerm
Messages
5
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


There's a charged semicircle, the ends of which are on the x-axis and it extends into the positive y-axis. It has uniform line charge density. I need to find the electric field at an arbitrary point on the x-axis that's not the origin.

Homework Equations


I don't know.

The Attempt at a Solution


I don't even know where to start. Even just starting me off would be much appreciated.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello eckerm, :welcome:

The guidelines prevent me from helping you in this state of affairs. 'Dunno' doesn't count in the PF culture. Look around a bit (hyperphysics, for example) and come back with a formula.

And a sketch of the situation might be useful too. I for one, can't make out whaat your configuration looks like. It will be difficult to calculate the field at the points where the 'ends are on the x-axis' if I take your description literally.