Master's Degree before they get a PhD?

Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Math Is Hard said:
Do U.S. PhD candidates typically get their sponsorship by teaching for the university where they are pursuing the degree, or is the sponsorship in the form of a private sector job/research position?
They either are paid as teaching assistants, which is university funding, or as graduate assistants, which means they do a little bit of technician work in the lab in addition to their research, or through fellowships that can be provided by a number of sources (the same types of sources as scholarships come from), through training grants held by the program they are in, or through the individual grants held by the professors they work for. Once they've advanced to candidacy, they also become eligible to apply for individual pre-doctoral fellowships that are essentially their own grants to cover their tuition, stipend, a very small amount of funds for research supplies.

This is a very informative thread. I want to get a PhD in Math and Physics (It's still too early for that to be a "plan") and I didn't know any of this stuff. I thought you had to go up the chain.

Beer for the OP.

Over here (NZ) you have to do really well in your bachellors and complete it with honours (an extra year i think of masters level stuff) if you want to do your PhD without doing the masters first.

Entropy said:
I hope I can get a Ph.D in math/physics but I don't know what subject in physics I really want to spend 5+ years of my life studying. I don't even know if I'm smart enough or have the will power to get one. Right now I'm having trouble just getting into a decent university. My sophimore year of high school is really coming back to haunt me...
Plasma, plasma, plasma! :bugeye: Or perhaps lasers! I have heard there are good possibilities within these fields. Lasers and plasma mean so much to our everyday lives and there is much exciting to explore!

And psychology is also an exciting field with many aspects the explore and many things that need to be developed, both when it comes to cognitive treatment and the medical treatment. You may also find that a psychology degree will give you the opportunity to do research on neurological issues! Yes, yes, yes! :smile:

Last edited:
Chaotic42 said:
This is a very informative thread. I want to get a PhD in Math and Physics (It's still too early for that to be a "plan") and I didn't know any of this stuff. I thought you had to go up the chain.

Beer for the OP.
Beer?! This isn't ATOT--bring stout next time :biggrin:

singleton said:
Beer?! This isn't ATOT--bring stout next time :biggrin:
The two worlds were never supposed to merge!

Plasma, plasma, plasma! Or perhaps lasers!
Hmm... Sounds destructive and sinister... I like it! :biggrin:

Right now what interests me the most is particle physics and astrophysics. But thats what I like now. I may change my mind after studying more indepth in my first years of college.

Definitely go with the PhD

Vid

After reading through this I just realized this is a four year old thread...

Math Is Hard
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member

Wow! Was that a blast from the past.

Say goodnight, thread.