1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Programs Master's from long ago abandoned PhD program?

  1. Nov 27, 2009 #1
    I'd like to earn a Master's, without starting from scratch, taking the whole bunch of classes again.

    In the 1980s, I had been in the PhD physics program at a large midwestern university. After passing the PhD qualifier and spending a year as a technician at a major research lab, I left to go into the software industry instead. There was additional study at another university. As TA, I have even graded homework for graduate level quantum theory. I have earned enough credits, and done the other things, to count for a Master's at most universities - but the university won't give a Master's to anyone who was on the PhD track. I have asked several times over the years.

    Since that departure from grad school, I've worked in industry and R&D among other things. Wanting to open new career doors, and impress future employers or clients better than with saying "I have the equivalent of a Master's degree", I'd like to know if there are any Master's programs that would take my previous study into account? Perhaps by taking exams, doing some lab research, in just a semester?

    Currently I live near Univ. of Central Florida, FWIW.
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 27, 2009 #2

    Vanadium 50

    User Avatar
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2017 Award

    I'm afraid any reputable university will have a residency requirement of at least a year.
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook