Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Matched LPF (without reflections)

1. Jan 11, 2015 #1
    Hey,
    I analyzed the circuit (matched LPF without reflections) hereby attached and produced a simulation of its impedance(freq.). I am now asked to explain why it is important to use a filter with such input impedance at high frequencies. If the filter's impedance at high frequencies were, say, 50ohms I could probably answer - "impedance matching! Thus benefiting from maximum power transfer etc.", but since at high frequencies the impedance approaches 0 I am not quite sure what the answer in this case should be. I'd appreciate some insight, please.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 12, 2015 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

What is the purpose of the input capacitor? It looks misplaced. Does that AC voltage source to the left have a built-in output resistance/impedance?

4. Jan 13, 2015 #3

Baluncore

Science Advisor

The circuit has no resistance apart from the load, so high frequency energy must be reflected back into the signal source. The LPF is matched over it's pass-band. At high frequencies the input impedance mismatch will reflect unwanted high frequency energy back towards the generator where it will be absorbed in the output resistance.

I can't see the detail in your image but; you appear to model the signal source as a low impedance voltage. You need to add a series resistor to set the output impedance of the generator. That will match the HF portion of the spectrum and absorb the reflected spectral components.

5. Jan 13, 2015 #4
    I did not design this circuit. It was given to me as is by the instructor. I was asked to analyze its impedance wrt frequency and then explain the importance of using a filter with such input impedance at high frequencies. Now what is in fact the importance at high frequencies?

6. Jan 13, 2015 #5

Baluncore

Science Advisor

It is to reflect the unwanted high frequencies back to the generator. You don't want them at the output and there are no resistors to dissipate them, where else can they go ?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook