1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Material Science Engineering.What is it? Give me a good description.

1. Nov 5, 2013 #1
    So at the college I'm in I'm a freshman Chemistry + (any) Engineering major (don't have to decide on what kind yet). I was set on going Chemistry + Biochemical engineering but when I went to my adviser he told me maybe think of becoming a Material Science Engineer. He said something along the lines of" biochemical, mechanical, electrical etc. (engineering) are established and the general engineering path however Material Science Engineer is on the cutting edge"
    ^ something like this...
    He essentially told me to go Material Science Engineering vs the "well established" routes because it's "hot",cutting edge etc.

So I came here tonight a bit confused if this fact is true or not and want a good description of this Engineering path. (not just some copy past wiki explanation)

Tysm in advance :approve:

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 7, 2013 #2
    ~bump~

4. Nov 7, 2013 #3
    I'm in an intro material science course right now ( engineering materials and science) and I swear it's the most boring class I have ever taken. It's all about the properties of materials and how they are formed and the engineering of these materials. Like you learn about how to engineer materials basically

5. Nov 7, 2013 #4
    I would not take the post above too seriously. If you enjoy your chemistry classes and really like chemistry then I think Materials Engineering will be perfect for you. You get tons of the physics, and chemistry. It is also a very profitable career. I took an Intro to engineering class and we have a few field trips to different places, all of these places talked about their lack of materials engineers and how they were in very high demand right now. Now I guess just wait until someone else more experienced comes along so they can tell you more about the field in a better light. Also, talk to some faculty members in that department and your chemistry department to see what they recommend. I am personally going into physics as a major (possibly chemical physics) but if I were to choose an engineering field that would be my top choice.

6. Nov 10, 2013 #5
    Hmm, I mean since high school I've always envisioned myself in drug design, however creating new materials seem interesting too (and they also help people too xD). Seeing you said ""You get tons of the physics, and chemistry." That's also encouraging because Chemistry and Physics are my favorite subjects, Math too but to a lower extent.( Unlike Biology/Psychology with boring memorization) . Also Materials Engineering has less pre-requirements than chemical so that's a pulse too (since the engineering degree is finished at Columbia)

Last edited: Nov 10, 2013
  7. Nov 10, 2013 #6
  8. Nov 10, 2013 #7
    He/She will not be exposed to very much upper division chemistry or physics classes if any at all, but will defiantly be exposed to bits and pieces of the material that pertains to materials engineering. Many of the upper division courses will apply much of the physics and chemistry you have learned. I believe that materials engineering may not be the best route in order to get to drug design, I would think biochemistry would, but I am sure there are tons of applications for materials engineering in the pharmaceutical industry. Based on you saying that chemistry and physics are your favorite subject I would then further question if you prefer the more applied side of things or the theoretical side. In a materials engineering you will probably not be exposed to much quantum mechanics and defiantly nothing like astrophysics.

9. Nov 12, 2013 #8
    well, I am double majoring B.S Chemistry + (any) Engineering major atm. However it is my freshman year so I can always change my mind later on. What they do at the school I'm in is to satisfy all engineering pre-requisites (for Columbia) while getting a degree in anything in about 3 years then for 2 years go to Columbia and do the engineering requirements for the specific program you picked. I am aware that materials engineering will not be the best route for drug design. I feel like that it may peck my interests plus my adviser said "...it's hot because it is the new frontier: some of the most exciting/challenging engineering problems..."

To answer your question about applied side of things or the theoretical side i really don't know I mean there was a time where I watched Leonard Susskind's YouTube lectures on Quantum Entanglement and stuff. I mean particle physics and higher energy physics seem interesting. However how dose one find a job in those fields because what I "researched" about physics it is a hard to find a job etc. Also seeing my school technically doesn't have a physics department ( basically you have to request to have a custom degree made to for a physics B.S degree).

So that's why I've decided to do is the 3+2 engineering program my school has and do a B.S in Chemistry then receive a B.S in an Engineering degree. I also know if I wanted to go into physics later for grad school (if I'm unhappy with engineering) I can always take a GRE (and just do practice Gres request previous exams etc). But, as of now I feel physics seems more like a hobby I YouTube from time to time atm.

Also seeing I'm a freshman at college right now with Calc 2 my highest course in math I've taken I'm probably naive with my judgement of fields atm so that's why I asked about Materials Science and Engineering.

hope this helps a bit to spell out a few things :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook