Math and classical mechanics textbooks

In summary, Silkia is a new member who is a pediatrician but has always been interested in physics. She has taken math courses required for a physics degree in the past and has now decided to pursue physics more seriously. She is currently self-teaching and hopes to eventually earn a PhD. She is looking for advice and suggestions on textbooks for math and classical mechanics. Some recommended resources include the online MIT Quantum mechanics lectures, the series "The Mechanical Universe," and Khan Academy. Silkia is also considering using her old textbooks and has received a recommendation for the books K&K + Morin.
Silkia
Hello everyone, my name is Silkia and I'm a new member.
I am a pediatrician but as with Alejandro in another thread my real love has always been physics. In three occasions I had decided that this was my career choice but long "stories" short, I ended up in medical school. As an undergraduate I took all the math courses required for a physics degree however this was a long time ago. I have finally decided to really pursue physics but at this time I will mostly be self taught I would love to go back to college and my ultimate goal is to earn a PhD but I need to figure out how to do that with having a day job ( might need to start working night shifts). I would appreciate any advice and suggestions for textbooks for math and classical mechanics. I might as well review everything to avoid any gaps in knowledge. I am currently listening to online MIT Quantum mechanics lectures and I am enjoying every single second but I need to go back and review my previous knowledge. Thanks in advance for any help that you can provide.

Physics news on Phys.org
Last edited:
Thanks, I don't care if they look old. The math that I need to review and classical mechanics haven't changed since then and if I had some of my old textbooks I would use them. Thank you so much. I will let you know how it goes.

K&K + Morin makes a great pair of intro mechanics books

Thanks.

1. What is the difference between math and classical mechanics textbooks?

Math textbooks generally focus on the mathematical concepts and principles used in classical mechanics, while classical mechanics textbooks focus on the application of those concepts to real-world problems.

2. Are there any prerequisites for studying math and classical mechanics?

A strong understanding of algebra, geometry, and calculus is typically necessary for studying math and classical mechanics.

3. How can I improve my understanding of math and classical mechanics?

Practice is key when it comes to understanding math and classical mechanics. Working through problems, seeking help from a tutor or teacher, and reviewing concepts regularly can all help improve understanding.

4. Are there any resources available to supplement a math and classical mechanics textbook?

Yes, there are many online resources such as tutorials, practice problems, and videos that can supplement a textbook and provide additional explanations and examples.

5. Can I use a math and classical mechanics textbook for self-study?

Yes, many textbooks are designed for self-study and include practice problems and solutions to help guide the learning process. However, it may be beneficial to also seek guidance from a tutor or teacher for more complex topics.