Math and science books for a well-educated person

  • Thread starter Thread starter john16O
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Books
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
38 replies · 27K views
ALL I REALLY NEED TO KNOW I LEARNED IN KINDERGARTEN" by Robert Fulghum
 
Physics news on Phys.org
has anyone read Einstein: His Life and Universe?? I am looking into reading this book next, once my semester workload slows down a little..
 
john16O said:
has anyone read Einstein: His Life and Universe?? I am looking into reading this book next, once my semester workload slows down a little..

Yes! It is a very interesting look into Einstein's life. Walter Isaacson is a great writer and explains Einstein's seemingly complex ideas in terms anyone can understand. However, I am no expert.
 
Metamagical Themas: Questing For The Essence Of Mind And Pattern by Douglas R. Hofstadter
 
Flatland: A Romance of Many Dimensions (E.Abbot)
The God Delusion (R.Dawkins)
Hyperspace (Michio Kaku) (I like this one, his other books tend to border fiction)
The Demon Haunted World (C. Sagan)
Billions and Billions (C.Sagan)
(Someone already mentioned Cosmos etc.)
Einstein's Telescope (E. Gates)
Uranium (T.Zoellner)
Science: A Four Thousand Year History (P.Fara)
The Math Book (C.Pickover)

Non Physics/Science books
Art of War (Sun Tsu)
Being and Nothingness (J.P.Sartre)

What are some other great ones that do not require you to already be a Physics PhD?
 
ffleming7 said:
Yes! It is a very interesting look into Einstein's life. Walter Isaacson is a great writer and explains Einstein's seemingly complex ideas in terms anyone can understand. However, I am no expert.

I just read it. It's very well written and shows that it can be an advantage when non-physicists write popular works that involve a lot of physics. Isaacson had a team of physicists and science historians checking the technical details (including Greene and Krauss!) He quotes many intriguing papers from recent researchers into the history of Einstein's physics, so it's a great first-source for anyone wanting to look into how Einstein was thought to have developed his theories, based on the latest historical research. The personal stuff was also very interesting, and based on a lot of new material that was released quite recently.
 
malawi_glenn said:
if they don't contain exercises, then yes you can follow the forumulas and trying to get all the steps etc. Or find another textbook or excerixes somewhere else.

Physics is not a science that you gain knowledge by reading, nor math either. One has to practice and encounter difficulties and try to overcome them :)

so would you suggest such a practice book for relativity...

thanks in advance...
 
I liked this short one by Ramana Maharshi: Who am I? (Nan yar?)

http://www.messagefrommasters.com/Ebooks/Ramana_Maharshi_Books/Who_Am_I.pdf
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I would say Billions and Billions by Carl Sagan. It is a great science influential books. Also tackles some philosophical questions