Computer Science books for self-study

In summary, Bill B recommends trying to find copies of the books at a library or bookstore before making a decision about whether they are a good fit for someone in his situation.
petersburg
Hi, I'm a prospective computer science student and would like to get a heads-up on some of the courses that I would most likely be taking at a university.

Just to make the distinction, I'm not talking about books like "Teach yourself x in x decades" or "practical guide to data structures". I know how to program, and am much more curious about the mathematical and logical underpinnings of computation. What I'm looking for are books that are introductory in nature, but that provide a mathematical rigour appropriate for said level.

Some topics I'm thinking of in particular are data structures, algorithms, discrete math, probability and some more advanced topics such as cryptography, data compression and fractals (obviously these are of a more advanced in nature, so humour me). So if you have any suggestions, I'm all ears.

Physics news on Phys.org
Bill B, how would you gauge the difficulty of the material in those books? I've heard of and have read reviews about these two books, but I've come to a (possibly hasty) conclusion that they might be alittle too advanced for someone in my situation.

Both books are used as textbooks by a number of universities. So, they're not what I would call "light" reading. If you're looking for an easy introduction, then they may not be a good fit. But in the event you want to dive in hard... they may fit the bill.

I would suggest trying to find copies at a library or bookstore and peruse through them so you can make your own judgment.

Bill B: That's probably what I'll end up doing. Thanks.

I'm hoping this topic also helps others interested in the real computer science, because quite often the phrase 'computer science' is used interchangeably with programming and software development, which is somewhat deceiving. Software development is not computer science, at least not in the theoretical sense of the phrase. Programming is a useful tool for bringing computer science to life, but is not strictly needed by a computer scientist.

In essence, computer science is a mathematical and logical discipline.

1. What are the best computer science books for self-study?

There is no single "best" computer science book for self-study, as it ultimately depends on your personal learning style and goals. However, some popular options include "Introduction to Algorithms" by Thomas H. Cormen, "Code Complete" by Steve McConnell, and "Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs" by Harold Abelson and Gerald Jay Sussman.

2. Do I need any prior knowledge to study computer science through books?

It is helpful to have some basic knowledge of math and programming concepts before delving into computer science books for self-study. However, many books provide a comprehensive introduction to these topics, so you do not necessarily need to have prior knowledge.

3. Can I learn computer science solely through books?

While books can provide a solid foundation for learning computer science, it is important to supplement your studies with practical experience and hands-on projects. This will help you apply the concepts you learn in books and gain a deeper understanding of the subject.

4. How do I choose the right computer science book for my level?

When selecting a computer science book for self-study, consider your current level of knowledge and experience in the subject. Look for books that are specifically geared towards beginners, intermediate learners, or advanced students. You can also read reviews and ask for recommendations from other self-study learners or computer science professionals.

5. Are there any free computer science books available for self-study?

Yes, there are many free computer science books available online for self-study. Some popular options include "Think Python" by Allen Downey, "The Linux Command Line" by William E. Shotts, Jr., and "Java: How to Program" by Paul and Harvey Deitel. Additionally, many universities offer free online resources and textbooks for their computer science courses.