1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Support PF! Reminder for those going back to school to buy their text books via PF Here!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Math Based or Conceptual Based Physics Textbook?

1. Mar 15, 2013 #1
    I am a freshman in high school and I want to major in physics and probably mathematics in college. I would like to learn more physics and I think that math is a very important part in learning physics. However, I don't know algebra II, trigonometry, or calculus so I was wondering if I should read a conceptual physics book or if I should work my way up to calculus and then read a physics book that uses calculus. What would be the most beneficial for me?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 17, 2013 #2

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

Why not do both? Go through a conceptual physics book now (such as Hewitt's "Conceptual Physics"), and then when you have enough math, do a calculus-based book (which is what you'll do in AP Physics C if your school has it).

4. Mar 17, 2013 #3

bcrowell

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hewitt is a great book. The big barrier right now would be trig, not calc. If you can learn a little basic trig (just sine, cosine, and tangent, which you could do in an afternoon), you'll have a much wider selection of books.

5. Mar 17, 2013 #4
    jtbell, are you suggesting that I wait until I get to more advanced math courses in school and then do a calculus-based physics book, or are you saying that I should do I conceptual physics book now and once I finished that book I go on to learn more higher mathematics?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted