Math book recommendations for physics undergraduate

In summary, this person needs to revise calculus and vector calculus, as well as differential equations. They also mentioned they don't want anything deep and prefer books that are more readable and affordable. They like "Ordinary Differential Equations" by Morris/Pollard and "Intro to Linear Algebra" by Gilbert Strang.
Doplersleg
Hi,

I have completed my first year of studies, a year that was rather hard. So I am in need of some good books(or book) to revise my hole year of math. Mostly I need to revise calculus and vector calculus, as well as differential equations. Basic linear algebra would be great too.

Although I do have some knowledge of my mentioned topics, I had some trouble with basic understanding of some of the concepts, so the books shouldn't be very "deep". An as I am studying physics, it would be great if those books would relate math concepts with physics.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Not so much a recommendation, but something you should probably avoid would be Arfken & Weber's Mathematical Methods. The Math Methods for Physics course I took last quarter required it, and it was terrible. Definitions throughout it are sparse and there is very little intuition behind any of it. I heard Mary L. Boas' Math Methods book was a much better alternative.

On the other hand, I've heard nothing but good things about the following:
Calculus - Michael Spivak
Ordinary Differential Equations - V.I. Arnol'd
Linear Algebra Done Right - Sheldon Axler
Intro to Linear Algebra - Gilbert Strang
Calculus Vol. 1 and 2 - Apostol

The first chapter of Griffith's Electrodynamics (3rd Ed. now) serves as a nice mini-review for vector calc as well.

Likes poseidon721
Patrick_Nth said:

Hey, I used the same book! I love that book.

How's the Mathematical Methods for Physics and Engineering: A Comprehensive Guide
by K. F. Riley M. P. Hobson S. J. Bence ?

Patrick_Nth said:
Not so much a recommendation, but something you should probably avoid would be Arfken & Weber's Mathematical Methods. The Math Methods for Physics course I took last quarter required it, and it was terrible. Definitions throughout it are sparse and there is very little intuition behind any of it. I heard Mary L. Boas' Math Methods book was a much better alternative.

On the other hand, I've heard nothing but good things about the following:
Calculus - Michael Spivak
Ordinary Differential Equations - V.I. Arnol'd
Calculus Vol. 1 and 2 - Apostol

The first chapter of Griffith's Electrodynamics (3rd Ed. now) serves as a nice mini-review for vector calc as well.

OP said s/he doesn't want anything deep, so I don't think Spivak or Apostol is for him/her...

One of my friends in engineering loves Stewart's Calculus text, that's for sure.

Heresy said:
OP said s/he doesn't want anything deep, so I don't think Spivak or Apostol is for him/her...

One of my friends in engineering loves Stewart's Calculus text, that's for sure.

Whoops. Missed that part. I used Stewart's for my first round of vector calc and liked it.

Patrick_Nth said:

I'd tend to disagree. I'm not particularly fond of this book. Try Hoffman and Kunze. It's a little more rigorous.

Likes poseidon721
Many students tend to miss a lot of the physical motivations behind divergence, gradient, curl and the Laplacian, all of which is expounded upon in the little book "div, grad, curl, and all that" by Schey. Completing the exercises in this short informal text will give you an innate sense of these common operators. A very useful text for a physics major.

anirudh215 said:
I'd tend to disagree. I'm not particularly fond of this book. Try Hoffman and Kunze. It's a little more rigorous.

I'm not too surprised. Probably the most scathing criticism I've heard about it was that it "teaches engineering math instead of real math". I myself have never used it although the Math Dept. here just switched to it from the LA book by Otto Bretscher (which I thought was terrible) for the lower-div sequence here.

I would not recommend Arnold for differential equations either, it's perhaps too advanced for one thing. Try Coddington's book.

I like "Ordinary Differential Equations" by Morris/Pollard myself. It is a nice survey of types of equations you may encounter and gives rigorous proofs and points out pitfalls appropriately. It is also very readable and very inexpensive (Dover publishing). Arnold you can save until you feel accomplished at techniques of solving differential equations and are curious about a unifying theory and the overarching geometric picture.

1. What are the best math books for physics undergraduates?

Some highly recommended books for physics undergraduates include "Mathematical Methods for Physics and Engineering" by K.F. Riley, "Mathematical Methods in the Physical Sciences" by Mary L. Boas, and "A Student's Guide to Waves" by Daniel Fleisch.

2. Are there any specific math topics that I should focus on as a physics undergraduate?

As a physics undergraduate, it is important to have a strong foundation in calculus, linear algebra, and differential equations. Other important topics include vector calculus, complex analysis, and numerical methods.

3. Are there any math books that cater specifically to physics applications?

Yes, there are several math books that are specifically tailored for physics applications. Some examples include "Mathematics for Physicists" by Philippe Dennery and Andre Krzywicki, "Mathematics of Classical and Quantum Physics" by Frederick W. Byron Jr. and Robert W. Fuller, and "Mathematical Methods for Physics and Engineering" by John W. Dettman.

4. Are there any online resources for math book recommendations for physics undergraduates?

Yes, there are many online resources available for math book recommendations for physics undergraduates. Some good places to start include physics forums, university websites, and online bookstores such as Amazon or Barnes and Noble.

5. Can you recommend any math books that are suitable for self-study?

There are several math books that are suitable for self-study, including "Introduction to Electrodynamics" by David J. Griffiths, "Introduction to Quantum Mechanics" by David J. Griffiths, and "Classical Mechanics" by John R. Taylor. These books are written in a clear and concise manner, making them ideal for self-study.