Help Me Decide: Math or Physics? What Do You Like About Them?

In summary, the conversation discusses a person's struggle in deciding whether to study math or physics. They express interest in string theory and laser in physics and topology in math. The other person suggests studying both as they complement each other.
Angel Penaflor
I can't decide what should I study math or physics.
I'm not asking you to decided for me (obviously), I'm just asking you what do you like about math or physics and why?
In my opinion (and I know I don't understand it yet) one of the most interesting things in physics is String Theory and laser.
In math topology sounds cool for me.
Help me. tell me what do you like about math or physics or both.

Physics news on Phys.org
They both are good. You are not limited to study exclusively one or the other but you should study both. Choose Physics if you want your Mathematics to be lively. You will apply your Mathematics everyday in studying Physics.

1. What is the difference between math and physics?

Math is the study of numbers, quantities, and shapes, while physics is the study of matter, energy, and their interactions. Math provides the tools and language used to describe and analyze physical phenomena in physics.

2. Which subject is more challenging, math or physics?

This can vary from person to person, as both subjects require critical thinking, problem-solving skills, and a strong understanding of abstract concepts. However, many people find physics to be more challenging due to its application of mathematical principles to real-world scenarios.

3. What careers can I pursue with a degree in math or physics?

A degree in math can lead to careers in fields such as finance, data analysis, cryptography, and teaching. A degree in physics can lead to careers in fields such as engineering, research, medicine, and education.

4. Is it possible to study both math and physics?

Yes, it is possible to study both subjects simultaneously. In fact, many universities offer joint programs in math and physics, as the two subjects complement each other and have overlapping concepts.

5. What do you personally like about math and physics?

As a scientist, I appreciate the logical and systematic approach of both math and physics. I also enjoy the challenge of solving complex problems and the satisfaction of finding elegant solutions. Additionally, I am fascinated by the way these subjects can explain and predict the behavior of the world around us.