Math problem of the week for university students?

• Thread starter bob012345
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the focus and scope of the Problems of the Week (POTW) for university students. It is clarified that the problems are not intended solely for math majors, but for anyone with a background in undergraduate level mathematics. Some of the problems may be challenging, but the community is encouraged to work together and learn from each other's solutions. The conversation also mentions a previous moderator who used to come up with difficult math problems for the POTW, but has since quit due to the amount of work involved.
bob012345
Gold Member
Looking through the problems of the week for university students it became clear to me at it means math majors, not just any university student because they are way beyond all the math I had even in grad school as a physics and engineering student. Was that the original intent? Will the scope change as PF members come from a broader background?

Physics news on Phys.org
Over at MHB, there were those with primarily physics backgrounds who correctly answered the university POTW and math majors who did not. The problems were (and are) not intended solely for math majors, but for everyone with at least some background in undergraduate level mathematics. That being said, many of the proposed problems will be more challenging than standard (in fact, my predecessor used to post Putnam problems for POTW).

Please don't be discouraged -- there are likely to be problems in the near future that you can solve. You can even post partial solutions (with spoiler tags) if you have made reasonable progress but have not figured out how to complete the solution. The community can assist in constructing a full solution. Also, use the opportunity to learn from other solutions learn more mathematics to improve your chances in solving the POTW. I hope this helps!

Likes Jameson, dextercioby, berkeman and 3 others
Up until last year, we had our moderator @fresh_42 come up with difficult mathematics problems for university level education. Too bad he quit.

dextercioby said:
Up until last year, we had our moderator @fresh_42 come up with difficult mathematics problems for university level education. Too bad he quit.
It was a wonderful feature of PF for a long time, but what a *huge* amount of work for fresh. :bow:

Likes Wrichik Basu and anorlunda