Exploring the World of Mathematics Research

In summary, mathematics research involves using a mathematical toolkit to solve problems and developing new tools when necessary. Mathematicians often rely on resources such as books, articles, conferences, and correspondence with other mathematicians to generate ideas and obtain new tools. The process can involve trial and error, and may result in the creation of new tools that may not solve the original problem, but can be applied to other problems. The tools used for research can vary, such as blackboards, paper, or computers. Grants and funding may also play a role in supporting mathematical research.
DarrenM
Hello there,

Would someone be so kind as to elaborate on what research in the field of mathematics entails? Not necessarily what is being researched, as I've found quite a bit of that on my own; to be frank, most of it is currently over my head.

Rather, (this is going to sound a bit silly) "research" conjures up images of laboratories and humming machines and 'experiments.' I know that is a misconception, but I'm quite curious as to what the reality is.

Physics news on Phys.org
That's a deceptively hard question. I've studied as a pure mathematician, and I find it hard to tell you what I did.
The way I see it is when you start researching mathematics you've got a mathematical toolkit of all the ideas and techniques you've learned so far (you linear algebra, your calculus, etc.).
Then you look at a problem mathematics can be applied to - good problems often come from understanding mathematics itself. An example might be: I know a formula to solve linear equations and quadratics; how can I find one to solve cubics? Quartics? Quintics? (and this turns out to be a very rich question).
You then think about how to use your mathematical toolbox to solve these problems. Nearly always you'll get stuck somewhere, so you need new tools.

For new ideas we read books, articles and journals, we go to conferences, we correspond with other mathematicians. The tool we need might already be developed, or we might need to invent it ourself, or extend another tool.

This is the hardest bit - you have to guess what tool you need. Often you just try different things with varying amounts of success.

When you have an idea you work it through, on a computer or a whiteboard or in your head on the bus. If it works you pat yourself on the back and feel good. If it doesn't you try something else.

(You might design a new tool that doesn't solve your problem, but you still think it's pretty nifty. You might go and try to find problems that you can use your tool to solve.)

That's as close as I can think of a description without going into a specific example.

fantispug said:
That's a deceptively hard question. I've studied as a pure mathematician, and I find it hard to tell you what I did.
The way I see it is when you start researching mathematics you've got a mathematical toolkit of all the ideas and techniques you've learned so far (you linear algebra, your calculus, etc.).
Then you look at a problem mathematics can be applied to - good problems often come from understanding mathematics itself. An example might be: I know a formula to solve linear equations and quadratics; how can I find one to solve cubics? Quartics? Quintics? (and this turns out to be a very rich question).
You then think about how to use your mathematical toolbox to solve these problems. Nearly always you'll get stuck somewhere, so you need new tools.

For new ideas we read books, articles and journals, we go to conferences, we correspond with other mathematicians. The tool we need might already be developed, or we might need to invent it ourself, or extend another tool.

This is the hardest bit - you have to guess what tool you need. Often you just try different things with varying amounts of success.

When you have an idea you work it through, on a computer or a whiteboard or in your head on the bus. If it works you pat yourself on the back and feel good. If it doesn't you try something else.

(You might design a new tool that doesn't solve your problem, but you still think it's pretty nifty. You might go and try to find problems that you can use your tool to solve.)

That's as close as I can think of a description without going into a specific example.

This is one of the best descriptions I've ever heard so far, in this forum, as long as math research goes!

I've been wondering about two things regarding mathematics research:

1. What do most mathematicians use when they're working? Blackboard, paper, computer?

2. How do grants work in regards to this? I would ask a more specific question, but I'm very fuzzy on grants and funding in general.

Thanks, Darren, for asking this question. It is something that I have wondered about for a long time. And thanks, too, fantispug for a great answer.

1. What is mathematics research?

Mathematics research involves the study and investigation of mathematical concepts, theories, and problems in order to advance our understanding of the subject and develop new ideas and applications.

2. What are the benefits of exploring mathematics research?

Exploring mathematics research allows for the discovery of new mathematical concepts and applications, which can have a significant impact on various fields such as science, technology, and economics. It also helps to develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills.

3. How is mathematics research conducted?

Mathematics research is typically conducted through a combination of theoretical and experimental methods. Mathematicians use logic, reasoning, and mathematical tools to analyze and solve problems, and may also conduct experiments or simulations to test their theories.

4. What are some current topics in mathematics research?

Some current topics in mathematics research include cryptography, machine learning, chaos theory, and game theory. Other areas of interest include number theory, algebra, geometry, and statistics.

5. How can someone get involved in mathematics research?

There are various ways to get involved in mathematics research, such as enrolling in a graduate program in mathematics, attending conferences and workshops, or collaborating with other researchers. Additionally, many universities offer opportunities for undergraduate students to participate in research projects through programs such as REUs (Research Experiences for Undergraduates).