[Math Verification] Massless Pulley - Acceleration of Block A & B?

In summary: It is easier to use "up the slope" and "down the slope" ... but make sure you define it.Anyway - that "47" figure is the tension. And it can't be right, as mentioned, it is far too big.Heh - there is a third approach that can be used here. Notice that it is the acceleration of the overall system that is being looked at. This is always true, but in this problem, the masses are moving together, attached by a string. So the "constraint" of the string length being constant adds another equation to play with.So the only unknown is the tension. And you can find it using the constraint equation (but not the FBDs
ksm2288

Homework Statement

http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/8286/imag0103l.jpg

*I'm aware my free body diagram is off and that normal force should be in the left quadrant.

Homework Equations

F=m*a

The Attempt at a Solution

Would I be correct in saying..

Fg of A = mg * sin (20)
= 2kg * 9.8 * sin (20)
=17.9N

Fg of B= mg
= (3 kg) (9.8 m/s^2)
=29.4N

Fnet = 29.4N - 17.9N = 11.5 N (tension of massless rope)
F= m*a
a= F/m
a of (A) = 11.5/2 = 5.75 m/s^2
a of (B) = 11.5/3 = 3.83 m/s^2

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
ksm2288 said:

Homework Statement

http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/8286/imag0103l.jpg

*I'm aware my free body diagram is off and that normal force should be in the left quadrant.

Homework Equations

F=m*a

The Attempt at a Solution

Would I be correct in saying..

Fg of A = mg * sin (20)
= 2kg * 9.8 * sin (20)
=17.9N

Fg of B= mg
= (3 kg) (9.8 m/s^2)
=29.4N

Fnet = 29.4N - 17.9N = 11.5 N (tension of massless rope)
F= m*a
a= F/m
a of (A) = 11.5/2 = 5.75 m/s^2
a of (B) = 11.5/3 = 3.83 m/s^2

I am sure you realize that since the masses are tied together, they will have the same magnitude of acceleration, and that no doubt brings about your query.

That 11.5 N is the net force on the "system" in the direction of motion. It will result in a certain acceleration of the 5kg system.

tension will be greater than that: Big enough to give each mass the acceleration above - you will find there is one value that does that.

eg:
If the tension was 25N, the net force on the 2kg mass would be 7.1N up the slope
If the tension was 25N, the net force on the 3kg mass would be 4.4N up
That value wouldn't work either, but there is one such value [between 17.9 and 25]

Last edited by a moderator:
PeterO said:
I am sure you realize that since the masses are tied together, they will have the same magnitude of acceleration, and that no doubt brings about your query.

That 11.5 N is the net force on the "system" in the direction of motion. It will result in a certain acceleration of the 5kg system.

tension will be greater than that: Big enough to give each mass the acceleration above - you will find there is one value that does that.

eg:
If the tension was 25N, the net force on the 2kg mass would be 7.1N up the slope
If the tension was 25N, the net force on the 3kg mass would be 4.4N up
That value wouldn't work either, but there is one such value [between 17.9 and 25]

Ah, yes. A narrow-minded approach for me. I need this class to graduate so any help/verification is incredibly appreciated.

therefore... if they have the same acceleration
a = aA = aB

a = (FgA + FgB) / (mA+ mB)
= (17.9N + 29.4N) / ( 5kg)
= 9.4 m/s^2 North of East (to the right)

T = 5kg * 9.4 m/s^2
= 47 kg*m/s^2 (Newtons)

Immediately apparent: how can the two masses have a different acceleration? That would suggest that the string stretches.

Just to make sure: off the fbd's.
FN is pointing the wrong way.
TB@A ... just call it T (for tension) and it's the same for the upwards force on mB. The FBD for mB has too few forces on it.

Formally, the analysis should treat each mass in isolation ... so you'd do:
[itex]\Sigma F = ma[/itex] for each one ... and then solve the simultaneous equations.

ksm2288 said:
Ah, yes. A narrow-minded approach for me. I need this class to graduate so any help/verification is incredibly appreciated.

a = aA = aB

T = 5kg * 9.4 m/s^2
= 47 kg*m/s^2 (Newtons)

9.4 ms-2 if waaaay too big. If the string broke, the acceleration of the 3 kg mass would only just exceed that value.

The 29.4 N is attempting to accelerate the 3 kg mass DOWN, and thus the 2kg mass UP the slope.
The 17.9 N - which in itself is far too big [re-check your 2.0 * 9.8 * sin(20) calculation] is attempting to accelerate the 2 kg mass DOWN the slope, and the 3 kg mass UP.

note: 2.0 * 9.8 * sin(30) = 9.8 [since sin(30) = 0.5] so 2.0 * 9.8 * sin(20) must be less than 9.8 ? Perhaps it is 7.9 and you put in a spurious 1??
You must learn to recognise answers / values that are clearly in correct.

Simon Bridge said:
Immediately apparent: how can the two masses have a different acceleration? That would suggest that the string stretches.

Just to make sure: off the fbd's.
FN is pointing the wrong way.
TB@A ... just call it T (for tension) and it's the same for the upwards force on mB. The FBD for mB has too few forces on it.

Formally, the analysis should treat each mass in isolation ... so you'd do:
[itex]\Sigma F = ma[/itex] for each one ... and then solve the simultaneous equations.

Sentence in red is not strictly true. It is far easier to analyse the two masses, plus string, as a single entity. The Tension thus becomes an internal force and does not come into play when applying Newton's First and Second Law which refer to External forces.

Depends on the method that is being used "formally" :) In this case, it looked like there was some confusion about how to treat the tension (twice) and advising a formal "separate the masses" approach clears that up... and works in general, in a readily transparent way that is easy for the student to check.

Anyway - the latest error is in this line:
a = aA = aB

... @ksm2288: do these two forces act in the same direction?

I'm also a little iffy about using "north" and "east" for these directions ... I don't think gravity acts to the south! How we think about a problem can affect the way we do the problem. Presumably the acceleration is "up the ramp" for mass A and "down" for mass B?

(I think we've been sloppy there: the masses have the same magnitude of acceleration - but different directions.)

1. What is a massless pulley?

A massless pulley is a type of pulley system that is assumed to have no mass and does not contribute to the overall weight of the system. It is often used in physics problems to simplify calculations.

2. How does a massless pulley affect the acceleration of block A and B?

A massless pulley does not affect the acceleration of block A and B. It only changes the direction of the tension force acting on the blocks.

3. What is the equation to calculate the acceleration of block A and B in a massless pulley system?

The equation to calculate the acceleration of block A and B in a massless pulley system is a = (mB - mA)g / (mB + mA), where mB is the mass of block B, mA is the mass of block A, and g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2).

4. How do I determine the direction of the acceleration in a massless pulley system?

The direction of the acceleration in a massless pulley system can be determined by looking at the direction of the tension force acting on each block. The block with the larger mass will have a larger tension force acting in the direction of its motion, while the block with the smaller mass will have a smaller tension force acting in the opposite direction.

5. Can a real pulley be considered massless?

No, a real pulley will always have some amount of mass, no matter how small. However, for the purpose of simplifying calculations, a pulley can be assumed to be massless if its mass is negligible in comparison to the masses of the blocks involved in the system.