1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mathemathical pendulum with springs

1. Apr 23, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A body with mass ##m## is hanged on a line with length ##l## and attached to springs in point ##p##. Point ##p## can move only horizontally. In equilibrium position, non of the springs is deformed. Now let's give that body just a little push out of equilibrium position. Calculate the frequency of oscillation.

sdf.JPG

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Let's put the origin of our coordinate system in point ##p## with ##\hat{i}## axis to right along the right spring and ##\hat{j}## axis pointed up.

Now the coordinate is fixed, while point ##p## can move along axis ##\hat{i}##. Let ##\vec{r} ## be vector from the origin to mass ##m## and lets say that ##\varphi ## is the angle between the line ##l## and vertical line.

Than ##\vec{r}=(lsin\varphi + x,lcos\varphi )## where ##x## is the expansion/shrinkage of springs or in other words: movement of point ##p##.

Than ##\dot{\vec{r}}=(\dot{\varphi }lcos\varphi+\dot{x},-l\dot{\varphi }sin\varphi)## and ##\dot{\vec{r}}^2=(\dot{\varphi }l)^2+2\dot{\varphi }l\dot{x}cos\varphi+\dot{x}^2##.

Now ##L=T-V=\frac{1}{2}m\dot{\vec{r}}^2-(-mglcos\varphi +kx^2)=(\dot{\varphi }l)^2+2\dot{\varphi }l\dot{x}cos\varphi+\dot{x}^2+mglcos\varphi -kx^2##

If that is ok, than

##\frac{\partial L}{\partial \varphi }-\frac{\mathrm{d} }{\mathrm{d} t}\frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot{\varphi }}=\ddot{\varphi }+\frac{g}{l}sin\varphi +\frac{\ddot{x}}{l}cos\varphi =0## and

##\frac{\partial L}{\partial x}-\frac{\mathrm{d} }{\mathrm{d} t}\frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot{x }}=\ddot{x}+\frac{2k}{m}x+\ddot{\varphi }lcos\varphi -\dot{\varphi }^2lsin\varphi =0##

Hopefully so far everything is ok. Now I am lost here. I am somehow supposed to solve this system of differential equations yet I have no idea how. I tried applying Taylor expansion for small ##\varphi ## but that didn't really help much...

Some help, please?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 24, 2014 #2

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

Taylor expanding for small [itex]\varphi[/itex] and [itex]\dot{\varphi}[/itex] helps enormously. Take the expansion up to linear order and you get a set of two coupled linear equations of motion which you can solve with standard methods, finding the eigensystem of solutions.

4. Apr 24, 2014 #3
    Yup, I figured it out yesterday late into the night...

For small angles:

##\ddot{\varphi }+\frac{g}{l}\varphi +\frac{1}{l}\ddot{x}=0## and

##\ddot{x}+\frac{2k}{m}x +l\ddot{\varphi }=0##

Now lets say that ##x=x_0e^{i\omega t}## and ##\varphi =\varphi _0e^{i\omega t}##. This gives me

##\begin{bmatrix}
    -\omega ^2+\frac{g}{l} & -\omega ^2\\
    -\omega ^2& -\omega^2 +\frac{2k}{m}
    \end{bmatrix}\begin{bmatrix}
    \varphi _0\\
    x_0
    \end{bmatrix}=\begin{bmatrix}
    0\\
    \end{bmatrix}##

And finally ##\omega ^2=\frac{g/l}{1+\frac{mg}{2kl}}##

THANKS!

5. Apr 24, 2014 #4

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

Hm, aren't there two resonance frequencies? You must have a solution with four free parameters, determined by the initial conditions [itex]x(0)=x_0[/itex], [itex]\dot{x}_0=v_0[/itex], [itex]\varphi(0)=\varphi_0[/itex], and [itex]\dot{\varphi}(0)=\Omega_0[/itex].

6. Apr 24, 2014 #5
    I don't know. I am not smart enough, that's why I am here learning. :D You tell me?

I do have some unofficial solutions for this problem and my solution is the same. That's all I know.

Maybe I wasn't clear enough when writing the problem: It says here that we grab the mass and pull it away from equilibrium position for small ##\varphi ## and than release it. Does this change anything?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted