1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mathematical Induction: Chapter 1, Example 4 from WiM? by Courant

1. Jan 8, 2010 #1
    This is not homework, per se, but I have recently started reading Courant and Robbins' What is Mathematics?

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Prove by mathematical induction.
    (1+q)(1+q2)(1+q4) ... (1+q2n) = (1-q2n+1) / (1-q)

2. Relevant equations
    Only the problem itself.

3. The attempt at a solution
    Using the method the book briefly introduced, I first established that A1 was true.

A1 = (1+q)(1+q2) = 1+q+q2+q3

Furthermore,

(1-q21+1) / (1-q) = (1-q4) / (1-q) = (1-q2)(1+q2) / (1-q) = (1+q)(1+q2)

Next, I attempted to show that Ar+1 follows from Ar, but this is where I ran into trouble.

1. (1+q)(1+q2)(1+q4) ... (1+q2r) = (1-q2r+1) / (1-q)

2. (1+q)(1+q2)(1+q4) ... (1+q2r)(1+q2r+1) = {(1-q2r+1) / (1-q)}(1+q2r+1)

This is the point at which I hit a wall. I feel like it's something absurdly simple, but I've been stuck on this for hours; I think it's the variable raised to a power raised to a binomial power that is throwing me for a loop.

I tried simply multiplying (1-q2r+1) and (1+q2r+1); that gives me another binomial that is the difference of two squares:

{(1-(q2r+1)(q2r+1)} / (1-q)

But again, stumped. I believe that if I multiply those two terms together I get (1-q2r+1+2r+1) / (1-q). If that's the case, this is the point at which I have completely lost it. However, I am not confident that I'm doing that properly.

Just to see if I could work backwards, I took a look at what I think Ar+1 would look like:

Ar+1 = (1-q2r+2) / (1-q)

Any hints on where/what I'm doing wrong would be very much appreciated.

P.S. - All of this is very new to me, so I apologize if it's not quite as clear or as polished as it should be.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 8, 2010 #2
    I don't understand your parenthesis.
    well..
    [tex]A_{r+1}=(1+q^{2^{r+1}})\frac{1-q^{2^{r+1}}}{1-q}[/tex]
    Just by focusing on the numerator,
    [tex](1+q^{2^{r+1}})(1-q^{2^{r+1}})[/tex]
    Gives us
    [tex]1-q^{2^{r+1}\times2}[/tex]

I'll leave the rest to you.
    Whenever you are stuck, check your previous workings , then try other approach to that question.

4. Jan 8, 2010 #3
    Sorry about the parenthesis and brackets, I'm not sure how to clearly represent fractions with the forum-code.

And I'm afraid that 1-q2r+1x2 takes me right back to where I was stuck. Any additional hint to nudge me in the right direction? :)

5. Jan 8, 2010 #4
    law of indices:

[tex]a^b \times a^c[/tex]=[tex]a^{b+c}[/tex]

Now:
    [tex]2^{r+1} \times 2^{1}[/tex] = ?

Last edited: Jan 8, 2010
  6. Jan 8, 2010 #5
    Aaaaargh.

It's not like I didn't just do that this morning on a previous problem. Nor is it like I wasn't staring at 1-q2(2r+1) while trying to solve this.

2r+1 x 21 = 2r+1+1 = 2r+2

Thanks very much for the help.

7. Jan 8, 2010 #6
    Welcome! Never ever abandon your law of indices agn (=

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook