Mathematical methods for students of physics and related fields

In summary, the conversation discusses the request for a book in PDF or ebook format, and the potential illegality of sharing copyrighted material. It is suggested to instead refer to the author's name when discussing textbooks, and a legal, free alternative is provided by James Nearing.
PrathameshR
This book is too expensive for me to buy. Can someone share ebook/ pdf?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure exactly what book you are referring to, but if it is copyrighted then the pdf would be illegal. We do not post links to illegal material here.

A legal, free book that may be what you are looking for has been written by James Nearing,
http://www.physics.miami.edu/~nearing/mathmethods/

Good luck.

Jason

Are you referring to Hassani's "Mathematical methods for students of physics and related fields"?

Most people on this forum refer to textbooks by the author's name rather than the title, unless of course he wrote more than book on the same subject.

As Jason noted, we do not allow links to free downloads of copyrighted books etc. that have not been authorized by the author or publisher.

I knew the copyright restrictions . But wanted the book desparately . My bad.

jasonRF said:
I'm not sure exactly what book you are referring to, but if it is copyrighted then the pdf would be illegal. We do not post links to illegal material here.

A legal, free book that may be what you are looking for has been written by James Nearing,
http://www.physics.miami.edu/~nearing/mathmethods/

Good luck.

Jason
Thanks. I'll go through it.

1. What is the purpose of mathematical methods in physics?

Mathematical methods are essential in physics as they provide a way to describe and analyze the complex physical phenomena in a quantitative manner. They allow for the formulation of equations and models that can accurately predict and explain the behavior of physical systems.

2. What are some common mathematical methods used in physics?

Some common mathematical methods used in physics include calculus, differential equations, linear algebra, complex analysis, and Fourier analysis. These methods are used to solve problems in classical mechanics, electromagnetism, thermodynamics, and quantum mechanics.

3. Do I need to have a strong background in math to understand these methods?

While a strong background in math is certainly helpful, it is not necessary to understand these methods. Many introductory physics courses will cover the necessary mathematical concepts and their applications in physics. However, a solid understanding of algebra and basic calculus is recommended.

4. How can I improve my mathematical skills for physics?

One way to improve your mathematical skills for physics is to practice solving problems. Work through practice exercises and examples in your textbook or seek out additional resources such as online tutorials or study groups. It is also helpful to review and reinforce your understanding of fundamental mathematical concepts.

5. Are there any online resources for learning mathematical methods for physics?

Yes, there are many online resources available for learning mathematical methods for physics. Some popular options include Khan Academy, Coursera, and MIT OpenCourseWare. Additionally, many textbooks and study guides are available for purchase online. It is also helpful to consult with your professor or teaching assistant for recommended resources.