Mathematical Methods in the Physical Sciences (alternative?)

In summary: It also includes more topics than Boas' such as group theory and complex analysis. I would recommend it for a more comprehensive understanding of mathematical methods.In summary, there are two types of books recommended by the participants of the conversation. The first type is a simple, easy-to-read book with a focus on core concepts, similar to "mathematical methods for dummies". The second type is a comprehensive book with problems and clear step-by-step solutions. Some classic books mentioned include "Morse & Feshbach" and "Courant & Hilberts", but they are not considered easy reads. Modern books recommended include "A Student's Guide to Vectors and Tensors", "Mathematical Methods for Physics and Engineering", "Math
RaulTheUCSCSlug
Gold Member
Is there any alternative books that teach you how to just do the problems rather than emphasizing why, and is there any books that emphasize why in an easier format? Something like a "mathematical methods for dummies" book?

This is the book I'm referring to ( https://www.amazon.com/dp/0471198269/?tag=pfamazon01-20 ) if you are not familiar with it and I personally think that the book is not the best. I dislike it. It seems to be in between of what could be two great books. Some of the problems are really great, some explanations are great, but other times it is a bit confusing and I can't decipher what they are saying.

I guess I'm looking for two book suggestions:
1.) Simple to read through and get core concepts ("explain to me as if I was 5" type of book)
2.) A good book with problems and solutions that go through the steps very clearly with a solution

Thank you for your recommendations.

I heard a book by Arfkin is good, does anyone know the name of the book?

Physics news on Phys.org
RaulTheUCSCSlug said:
This is the book I'm referring to ( https://www.amazon.com/dp/0471198269/?tag=pfamazon01-20 ) if you are not familiar with it and I personally think that the book is not the best.
I enjoyed that book during my undergrad. But I must admit that this book presents its content mostly in a readily-applicable-to-solve-physics-problem manner - it's a practical textbook in my opinion. The author does the derivations adjusted to how physics students will use the math to solve physical problem. Nevertheless, to me the explanations are clear and accessible as this book is largely designed for undergrads.
RaulTheUCSCSlug said:
I heard a book by Arfkin is good, does anyone know the name of the book?
Probably you mean "Mathematical Methods for Physicists" by Arfken and Weber. I heard this book is also commonly used among physics students, but I don't know to which level of college it is aligned.

blue_leaf77 said:
I enjoyed that book during my undergrad. But I must admit that this book presents its content mostly in a readily-applicable-to-solve-physics-problem manner - it's a practical textbook in my opinion. .

Do you have a recommendation of any other mathematical methods books that would be a bit easier to comprehend? I feel myself getting lost in the jumps boas does from explaining the basic concepts to jumping straight to certain complex ideas with little explanation.

RaulTheUCSCSlug said:
Do you have a recommendation of any other mathematical methods books that would be a bit easier to comprehend?
This undergraduate book is more rigorous than Boas', since you appear to be looking for a more formal treatment for the derivations.

Likes RaulTheUCSCSlug

1. What is the purpose of studying mathematical methods in the physical sciences?

The purpose of studying mathematical methods in the physical sciences is to develop a deeper understanding of the fundamental principles and theories that govern the natural world. By using mathematical tools and techniques, scientists are able to analyze and interpret data, make predictions, and solve complex problems in fields such as physics, chemistry, and engineering.

2. What are some common mathematical methods used in the physical sciences?

Some common mathematical methods used in the physical sciences include calculus, differential equations, linear algebra, statistics, and numerical analysis. These methods are used to model and describe various physical phenomena, such as motion, electricity and magnetism, and thermodynamics.

3. How do mathematical methods aid in scientific research and experimentation?

Mathematical methods aid in scientific research and experimentation by providing a quantitative framework for analyzing and interpreting data. They allow scientists to make accurate predictions, test hypotheses, and identify patterns and relationships in their observations. Additionally, mathematical models can be used to simulate and predict the behavior of complex systems, leading to a better understanding of natural phenomena.

4. Are there any alternative mathematical methods used in the physical sciences?

Yes, there are alternative mathematical methods used in the physical sciences, such as computational methods, chaos theory, and fractal geometry. These methods are often used to study nonlinear systems and complex phenomena that cannot be described by traditional mathematical models.

5. How can I improve my understanding of mathematical methods in the physical sciences?

To improve your understanding of mathematical methods in the physical sciences, it is important to continuously practice and apply these methods to real-world problems. You can also seek out additional resources, such as textbooks, online courses, and workshops, to deepen your knowledge and skills. Collaborating with other scientists and discussing ideas can also help improve your understanding of these methods.