1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Support PF! Reminder for those going back to school to buy their text books via PF Here!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Applied Boas - Mathematical Methods - Solutions to problems in book?

1. Dec 12, 2015 #1
    I started with Mary Boas' book "Mathematical Methods in the Physical Sciences". Now it is stressed in the introduction to make homework and do the problems. However, I would very much like to know if I got the answers right, and I even prefer if the problems are worked-out. So I guess my question is: is there a resource to worked-out problems in this book, or is there a book with worked-out problems that follows the setup of Boas' book?

While I'm at it: what exactly are the prerequisites of this book of Mary Boas? I already run into problems solving the problems in section 1.2! :confused:

Last edited: Dec 12, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 12, 2015 #2

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

There are solutions in the book.

4. Dec 12, 2015 #3

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Boas' book is designed for undergrads physics students and is also usually used as the prerequisite for the more advanced books in the subject. So, other than highschool maths and basic calculus, I can't say any other background you should have in order to proceed with.

5. Dec 12, 2015 #4
    Only answers to selected problems, and they are not worked out. :wink:

6. Dec 12, 2015 #5
    if you constantly need worked out solutions, and cannot solve the problem yourself with out effort, then you should give up pursing a career in the science.

7. Dec 12, 2015 #6
    I quess you're right. That leaves the answers to the problems (not worked out). Are there any available?

8. Dec 12, 2015 #7

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Only in the Instructor Solutions Manual, and those are not available to students. Thread closed.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook