Boas - Mathematical Methods - Solutions to problems in book?

In summary, the conversation discusses the book "Mathematical Methods in the Physical Sciences" by Mary Boas and the importance of doing homework and solving problems in order to understand the material. The speaker asks if there are any resources or books with worked-out problems to help with understanding the material, as well as the prerequisites for the book. It is mentioned that there are solutions in the book, but they are not worked out, and that the Instructor Solutions Manual is not available to students. The conversation concludes with the suggestion that if one constantly needs worked-out solutions, they may not be suited for a career in science.
entropy1
I started with Mary Boas' book "Mathematical Methods in the Physical Sciences". Now it is stressed in the introduction to make homework and do the problems. However, I would very much like to know if I got the answers right, and I even prefer if the problems are worked-out. So I guess my question is: is there a resource to worked-out problems in this book, or is there a book with worked-out problems that follows the setup of Boas' book?

While I'm at it: what exactly are the prerequisites of this book of Mary Boas? I already run into problems solving the problems in section 1.2! :confused:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
There are solutions in the book.

entropy1 said:
what exactly are the prerequisites of this book of Mary Boas?
Boas' book is designed for undergrads physics students and is also usually used as the prerequisite for the more advanced books in the subject. So, other than high school maths and basic calculus, I can't say any other background you should have in order to proceed with.

Likes entropy1
Bystander said:
There are solutions in the book.

Only answers to selected problems, and they are not worked out. :wink:

if you constantly need worked out solutions, and cannot solve the problem yourself without effort, then you should give up pursing a career in the science.

• Sad
Likes Slimy0233
MidgetDwarf said:
if you constantly need worked out solutions, and cannot solve the problem yourself without effort, then you should give up pursing a career in the science.

I quess you're right. That leaves the answers to the problems (not worked out). Are there any available?

Only in the Instructor Solutions Manual, and those are not available to students. Thread closed.

Likes entropy1

1. What is the purpose of "Boas - Mathematical Methods - Solutions to problems in book?"

The purpose of "Boas - Mathematical Methods - Solutions to problems in book" is to provide students and researchers with a comprehensive collection of solutions to the problems presented in the textbook "Mathematical Methods in the Physical Sciences" by Mary L. Boas. These solutions serve as a helpful guide for understanding the concepts and techniques presented in the textbook.

2. Is "Boas - Mathematical Methods - Solutions to problems in book" suitable for self-study?

Yes, "Boas - Mathematical Methods - Solutions to problems in book" is suitable for self-study. The solutions provided in the book are written in a clear and concise manner, making it easy for students to follow along and understand the solutions to the problems. However, it is recommended to use this book in conjunction with the textbook for a more comprehensive understanding of the concepts.

3. Are the solutions in "Boas - Mathematical Methods - Solutions to problems in book" accurate?

Yes, the solutions in "Boas - Mathematical Methods - Solutions to problems in book" are accurate. The solutions have been checked and verified by experts in the field to ensure their accuracy. However, as with any mathematical solutions, it is always recommended to double-check the solutions and work through the problems on your own to fully understand the concepts.

4. Can "Boas - Mathematical Methods - Solutions to problems in book" be used for other textbooks?

Yes, "Boas - Mathematical Methods - Solutions to problems in book" can be used for other textbooks. While the solutions in this book are specifically written for the problems in "Mathematical Methods in the Physical Sciences" by Mary L. Boas, many of the concepts and techniques can be applied to other mathematical textbooks. However, it is recommended to use this book in conjunction with the textbook for which it was written.

5. Are there solutions for all the problems in "Mathematical Methods in the Physical Sciences" included in "Boas - Mathematical Methods - Solutions to problems in book"?

Yes, "Boas - Mathematical Methods - Solutions to problems in book" includes solutions for all the problems presented in "Mathematical Methods in the Physical Sciences" by Mary L. Boas. The solutions are organized by chapter and section, making it easy to find the corresponding solution for a specific problem.