1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mathematical methods of Physics, ODE

1. Dec 11, 2011 #1

fluidistic

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    For what values of K does the DE [itex]xy''-2xy'+(K-3x)y=0[/itex] (1) has a bounded solution in [itex](0, \infty)[/itex]?

2. Relevant equations
    Not so sure, Frobenius method maybe.

3. The attempt at a solution
    First, I check what happens when x tends to infinity. I see that the DE behaves like [itex]\phi ''-2 \phi '-3 \phi =0[/itex]. Where [itex]\phi (x)=c_1e^{3x}+c_2e^{-x}[/itex]. I checked out and this indeed satisfies the DE (2).
    I propose a solution to (1) of the form [itex]y(x)=f(x) \phi (x)[/itex]. So I calculated y' and y'' and replaced all this into the DE (1) and after a lot of algebra I reached that the DE (1) is equivalent to the DE [itex]f''(x)+4f'(x)+f(x) \left ( \frac{Kc_1e^{3x}}{x} \right ) \cdot \left ( \frac{1}{c_1e^{3x}+c_2e^{-x}} \right )=0[/itex] (3) where these [itex]c_1[/itex] and [itex]c_2[/itex] differs from the ones given in the expression for [itex]\phi (x)[/itex] but this doesn't matter, they are constants. Now I must say I'm not really eager to use Frobenius's method on the DE (3). Mainly due to the denominator. I don't really know how to proceed... any help will be appreciated as usual.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 11, 2011 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Not sure if it will help, but surely you wouldn't want to include the e3x in your calculations because it isn't bounded. I would try just the e-x part, but no guarantees; I haven't tried it myself.

4. Dec 11, 2011 #3

fluidistic

Gold Member

Whoops, you're absolutely right! I forgot about this. :redface:

5. Dec 12, 2011 #4

fluidistic

Gold Member

I progressed on the problem.
    I skip the algebra, and I must solve [itex]f''(x)-4f'(x)+\frac{K}{x}f(x)=0[/itex]. I use Frobenius's method on it and this gave me the indicial equation s=0 (that I discard later) and s=1.
    I reach the recurrence relation [itex]a_{n+1}=\frac{-a_n [4(n+s)+K]}{(n+2)(n+1)}[/itex].
    The values of K they ask for is when [itex]a_{n+1}=0[/itex] and [itex]a_n \neq 0[/itex]. So [itex]K=-4n-4[/itex] with n going from 0 to infinity. (This is, I hope, the answer to the problem).
    However say I want to find the general terms [itex]a_n[/itex] in [itex]\sum _{n=0}^{\infty} a_nx^{n+1}[/itex].
    I'm currently trying to find a pattern, by setting [itex]a_0=1[/itex] between the [itex]a_n[/itex]'s but I'm not getting sucessful in it.
    [itex]a_0=1[/itex], [itex]a_1=-\frac{4+K}{2}[/itex], [itex]a_2=\left ( \frac{4+K}{2} \right )\left ( \frac{8+K}{3\cdot 2} \right )[/itex], [itex]a_3=-\frac{(4+K)}{2} \left ( \frac{8+K}{3\cdot 2} \right ) \left ( \frac{12+K}{4\cdot 3} \right )[/itex].

So far I realize that [itex]a_n=\frac{(-1)^n}{n!(n+1)!}[/itex] multiplied by something that I'm not sure (and don't find yet). Maybe something similar to [itex]\frac{(4n+K)!}{(4n+K-1)(4n+K-2)(4n+K-3)}[/itex]. Can someone help me on this task?

6. Dec 12, 2011 #5

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Did you perhaps make a sign error? I find the recursion relation to be
    [tex]a_{n+1} = -\frac{K-4(n+1)}{(n+1)(n+2)} a_n.[/tex]

7. Dec 13, 2011 #6

fluidistic

Gold Member

Yes I think I did, though now I get a different answer from ours.
    From [itex]f''(x)-4f'(x)+\frac{K}{x}f(x)=0[/itex] and [itex]f(x)=\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}a_n x^{n+s}[/itex], I reach that it's equivalent to [itex]\sum_{n=-1}^{\infty}a_{n+1}(n+s)(n+s+1) x^{n+s-2}-4\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}a_n(n+s) x^{n+s-1}-K \sum_{n=0}^{\infty}a_n x^{n+s-1}=0[/itex]
    [itex] \Rightarrow a_0s(s-1)x^{s-2}+\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}a_n x^{n+s-1} [-4(n+s)-K]+a_{n+1}(n+s+1)(n+s)x^{n+s-1}=0[/itex].
    So [itex]-a_n [4(n+s)+K]+a_{n+1}(n+s+1)(n+s)=0\Rightarrow a_{n+1}=\frac{a_n[4(n+s)+K]}{(n+s+1)(n+s)}[/itex].

Mod note: fixed LaTeX

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 13, 2011
  8. Dec 13, 2011 #7

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

You changed the sign on the K term, so you should get
    [tex]a_0s(s-1)x^{s-2}+\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}a_n x^{n+s-1} [K-4(n+s)]+a_{n+1}(n+s+1)(n+s)x^{n+s-1}=0.[/tex]Then you made one more sign error which got rid of the alternating sign.

9. Dec 13, 2011 #8

fluidistic

Gold Member

You are right, I made a typo when I copied the DE when I turned the page of my draft for the sign of K. I now reach your result.
    I'm trying to find a pattern by calculating the first terms, assuming [itex]a_0=1[/itex].
    [itex]a_1=-\frac{(K-4)}{2}, a_2=\frac{(K-4)(K-8)}{2\cdot 3\cdot 2}[/itex], etc.
    My attempt is [itex]a_n=\frac{(-1)^n(K-4)(K-8)...(K-4n)}{n!(n+1)!}[/itex] but this doesn't work for [itex]a_0[/itex] since I get K instead of 1.

10. Dec 13, 2011 #9

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

If you require that the series terminates, you know K has the form K=4m where m=1, 2, 3, ....

11. Dec 13, 2011 #10

fluidistic

Gold Member

Yes indeed. [itex]K-4(n+1)=0 \Rightarrow k=4(n+1)[/itex] with n=0, 1, etc. which is equivalent to K=4m for m=1, 2, etc.
    I was just trying to do more than what they asked me. I wanted to express [itex]a_n[/itex] in terms of n only rather than [itex]a_{n+1}[/itex] in terms of [itex]a_n[/itex]. I don't think it really matters anyway, but since I've a weakness in doing it I wanted to eradicate it. :smile:

12. Dec 13, 2011 #11

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

I didn't do this calculation out carefully yesterday so I may have made a mistake, but I think you can use the fact that K=4m to express an in terms of n and m.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook