1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mathematical methods of physics problem

1. Jul 19, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Here's the problem. Verify the operator identity
    x - d/dx = -exp (-x^2 / 2) d /dx exp (-x^2 / 2)
    Can someone please help me? Thanks :)
    2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 19, 2011 #2

hunt_mat

Homework Helper

I would apply both sides of the equation to a function [itex]f(x)[/itex] and compare the results.

I sense the integrating factor method...

4. Jul 19, 2011 #3
    ok.thanks for help :)

5. Jul 19, 2011 #4

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

This seems wrong. You have the same factor exp(-x^2/2) both outside and inside the d/dx. The result (when applied to f(x)) will have a factor exp(-x^2) on the right, but not on the left. I think one of the factors on the right should be exp(+x^2/2), so that the two "exp's" finally cancel.

RGV

6. Jul 19, 2011 #5

hunt_mat

Homework Helper

As I said Ray, apply them both to a function f to find:
    [tex]
    xf-\frac{df}{dx}=g(x),\quad e^{-x^{2}/2}\frac{df}{dx} \left( e^{-x^{2}/2}f\right) =g(x)
    [/tex]
    Both are g(x) as when applied to f they should give the same thing. Use the integrating factor [itex]e^{-x^{2}/2}[/itex] and treat it as an ODE.

7. Jul 19, 2011 #6
    thank you both for helping :)

8. Jul 20, 2011 #7

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I assume that -exp (-x^2 / 2) d /dx exp (-x^2 / 2) is to be interpreted as an operator that applies to a function f(x), giving -exp(-x^2/2)*(d/dx)[exp(-x^2/2)*f(x)] = x*exp(-x^2)*f(x) - exp(-x^2)*df(x)/dx = exp(-x^2)*[x - d/dx] f(x). The exp(-x^2) arises from exp(-x^2/2)*exp(-x^2/2). Where is my error?

On the other hand (as I suggested before), -exp(+x^2/2) d/dx exp(-x^2/2) applied to f(x) does, indeed, give x*f(x) - df(x)/dx, because we get cancellation: exp(x^2/2)*exp(-x^2/2) = 1.

RGV

9. Jul 20, 2011 #8

hunt_mat

Homework Helper

let's check this, take the first equation, the integrating factor for this is [itex]-e^{-x^{2}/2}[/itex] and the equation becomes:
    [tex]
    \frac{d}{dx}\left( -e^{-x^{2}/2}f(x) \right) =-e^{-x^{2}/2}g(x)
    [/tex]
    Then to isolate g(x), multiply by [itex]-e^{x^{2}/2}[/itex] to get:
    [tex]
    -e^{x^{2}/2} \frac{d}{dx}\left( -e^{-x^{2}/2}f(x) \right) =g(x)
    [/tex]
    So there is a difference in signs as Ray said.

10. Jul 20, 2011 #9
    The problem is related to the Hermite polynomials and operators of creation and annihilation. The creation operator:
    [itex] a^{\dagger}\equiv \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\left(x- \frac{d}{dx}\right)[/itex]
    I played with the Rodrigues formula for Hermite poyinomials (for n=1?):
    [itex]H_n (x)=(-1)^n e^{x^2} \frac{d^n}{dx^n}e^{-x^2}[/itex]
    and
    [itex] \psi_n(x)=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2^n n!\sqrt{\pi}}}e^{-\frac{x^2}{2}}H_n(x)[/itex]
    but run into some problems.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2011
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook