What is the integral of this Gaussian distribution?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
8 replies · 3K views
Boltzman Oscillation
Messages
233
Reaction score
26

Homework Statement



Find A in

p(x) = Aexp(-λ(x-a)^2)
by using the equation 1 = ∫ p(x)dx

Homework Equations



1 = ∫p(x)dx

The Attempt at a Solution



I expand the power of the exponential and then extract the constant exponential to get:

Aexp(λa^2) ∫exp(-λx^2)exp(2aλx)dx

I don't know how to proceed now.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Dr Transport said:
it is a pretty simple analytic integral.
Pretty simple if you know the trick! But the trick is not obvious if you’ve never seen it before.

@Boltzmann Oscillation
I would not expand the exponent like you did, I would instead make the substitution that Dr Transport suggested.

The trick behind solving the integral (the only way I know) is to multiply the integral with itself but with another dummy variable, then combine and convert to polar coordinates and integrate over the plane, then take the square root at the end.

I think it’s unclear in words so I’ll show the first few steps without the constants:
$$[\int_{-∞}^∞ e^{-x^2}dx]^2 = [\int_{-∞}^∞ e^{-x^2}dx]⋅ [\int_{-∞}^∞ e^{-y^2}dy] = \int_{-∞}^∞\int_{-∞}^∞ e^{-x^2}e^{-y^2}dxdy = \int_{-∞}^∞\int_{-∞}^∞ e^{-(x^2+y^2)}dxdy$$
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: WWGD
Boltzmann Oscillation said:

Homework Statement



Find A in

p(x) = Aexp(-λ(x-a)^2)
by using the equation 1 = ∫ p(x)dx

Homework Equations



1 = ∫p(x)dx

The Attempt at a Solution



I expand the power of the exponential and then extract the constant exponential to get:

Aexp(λa^2) ∫exp(-λx^2)exp(2aλx)dx

I don't know how to proceed now.

Is this supposed to be an integral from ##-\infty## to ##+\infty?## If so, just put ##u = \sqrt{\lambda}(x-a),## to get a standard integral which is easily accessed on-line, or even in good old-fashioned books.

Note added in edit: I see that Hiero beat me to it in post #3, but that post did not appear on my screen until after I had pressed the enter key for my contribution.
 
Last edited:
Hiero said:
Pretty simple if you know the trick! But the trick is not obvious if you’ve never seen it before.

@Boltzmann Oscillation
I would not expand the exponent like you did, I would instead make the substitution that Dr Transport suggested.

The trick behind solving the integral (the only way I know) is to multiply the integral with itself but with another dummy variable, then combine and convert to polar coordinates and integrate over the plane, then take the square root at the end.

I think it’s unclear in words so I’ll show the first few steps without the constants:
$$[\int_{-∞}^∞ e^{-x^2}dx]^2 = [\int_{-∞}^∞ e^{-x^2}dx]⋅ [\int_{-∞}^∞ e^{-y^2}dy] = \int_{-∞}^∞\int_{-∞}^∞ e^{-x^2}e^{-y^2}dxdy = \int_{-∞}^∞\int_{-∞}^∞ e^{-(x^2+y^2)}dxdy$$
Interesting ill use both yours and the previous method. Whats the name of the method you ised?
 
Hiero said:
Pretty simple if you know the trick! But the trick is not obvious if you’ve never seen it before.

@Boltzmann Oscillation
I would not expand the exponent like you did, I would instead make the substitution that Dr Transport suggested.

The trick behind solving the integral (the only way I know) is to multiply the integral with itself but with another dummy variable, then combine and convert to polar coordinates and integrate over the plane, then take the square root at the end.

I think it’s unclear in words so I’ll show the first few steps without the constants:
$$[\int_{-∞}^∞ e^{-x^2}dx]^2 = [\int_{-∞}^∞ e^{-x^2}dx]⋅ [\int_{-∞}^∞ e^{-y^2}dy] = \int_{-∞}^∞\int_{-∞}^∞ e^{-x^2}e^{-y^2}dxdy = \int_{-∞}^∞\int_{-∞}^∞ e^{-(x^2+y^2)}dxdy$$

Alright so when i substitute polar coordnates for my eauation i have to find the integral of:

(-A/sqrt(λ))∫∫exp(r^2)dφdr
I can integrate dφ easily but how do i integrate dr?
 
Boltzmann Oscillation said:
Alright so when i substitute polar coordnates for my eauation i have to find the integral of:

(-A/sqrt(λ))∫∫exp(r^2)dφdr
I can integrate dφ easily but how do i integrate dr?

The polar-coordinate area element is ##dA = r dr d\phi,## NOT the ##dr d\phi## that you wrote. That is actually the whole point of the "trick".
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Hiero
Boltzmann Oscillation said:
Interesting ill use both yours and the previous method. Whats the name of the method you ised?
I don’t think it has a name. In fact I’ve never seen it used for anything but this exact problem!

I will always remember it though because of how clever it is, it left a strong impression when I first saw it.