Mathematical Modeling of an articulated vehicle (trailer)

In summary, the conversation is about a problem with mathematical modelling of a specific type of articulated trailer. The person is using two methods, Lagrange and Newton-euler, to derive equations of motion and is wondering if the system has non holonomic constraints. They are seeking advice on which method to use and how to model the system in minimal coordinates. They also discuss the couplings between the trailer parts and the tractor and how to include the kinematic loop equation and model hydraulic forces. The person also mentions a diagram of the system and the use of hydraulic cylinders for steering path analysis. Another person joins the conversation and suggests using a 4-bar trapezoidal linkage for stability. They also provide a link to a forum discussing this type of
Palguna Kumar
Hello,

I have an problem with mathematical modelling of a special kind of articulated trailer (please have a look at the images: 1st image is the yaw plane and the second is the ZX plane). I have two methods of deriving equations of motion namely Lagrange and Newton-euler to analyse their paths or trajectories. Do you think the system has non holonomic constraints because the side slip of the first body cannot be defined since it has no wheels ? Which method is preferrable lagrange or Newton euler? How to model the system in minimal coordinates ( generalized coordinates) to avoid lagrange multipliers? I have tried a lot but system is entering singularity (maybe because I did not consider non holonomic constraints). Is there a better way where I can model the system ?

Attachments

• IMG_20180219_182852.jpg
    IMG_20180219_182852.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 544
  • IMG_20180219_183008.jpg
    IMG_20180219_183008.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 567
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.
I am having trouble reading your attached pictures and identifying the degree of freedom of the couplings between the two trailer parts and the tractor.

The front hitch could be the two arms of a 3 point linkage or a ball.
Can you please provide a sketch that shows the two trailer bodies and the tractor or tow vehicle.
Can you show a sketch of the couplings with links, pin or ball joints identified.
How is the mass of body 2 supported.
The linkage between body 1 and body 2 looks like a 4 bar trapezoidal linkage with 4 vertical pins.

If the front hitch is a single ball joint then it will be impossible to reverse the combination in a controlled way.

System picture.jpg

Thank you for your reply. Sorry for the bad pictures. This is the diagram of my whole system.
The whole model is on XY Plane, which means I have built a lateral dynamic model of tractor trailers.
I am not modeling the system for reversing. It is only for forward motion, that my second trailer must follow the path of the tow vehicle.
All the links or hitches are simple cylindrical joints on 2D plane.
The 2nd trailer's trajectory is controlled through two hydraulic cylinders Fh1 and Fh2 attached to both Trailer 1 and the four bar linkage ABCD as shown in figure.
delta is the steering angle
Fy1 Fy2 Fy3 are lateral tire forces.
theta1 is the relative angle between the tower and the trailer 1
theta2 is the relative angle between the trailer1 and the trailer 2

How can I include the kinematic loop equation for ABCD into my dynamic equations ?
How can I model the hydraulic forces? as spring forces or as just stiffness to rotation ?

Attachments

• System picture.jpg
    System picture.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 780
Palguna Kumar said:
How can I model the hydraulic forces? as spring forces or as just stiffness to rotation ?
Hydraulics rigidly fix the geometry of the structure because hydraulic cylinders are operated without compressible fluid in the system.
In this case, hydraulic cylinder position will be a modelling parameter.
For the purpose of steering path analysis you can assume that the hydraulic cylinders are fixed length links.

Palguna Kumar,

Baluncore seems to have already described, "The linkage between body 1 and body 2 looks like a 4 bar trapezoidal linkage with 4 vertical pins", which is my take on part of your mechanism.

I am familiar with a type of hitch that uses the 4-bar to stabilize bumper-pull trailers. I used one on my camper and it is extraordinarily stable and sway resistant in gusty wind conditions compared to all other weight-distributing hitches or fifth-wheel configurations. However your diagram does not seems to use it configured quite that common way. On the chance that you are attempting to understand such 4-bar principles, there is a vast thread about it on this camper forum: http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/15531727.cfm

Wes

1. What is mathematical modeling of an articulated vehicle?

Mathematical modeling of an articulated vehicle is the process of using mathematical equations and principles to simulate the behavior and movements of a trailer attached to a truck or other vehicle.

2. Why is mathematical modeling important for articulated vehicles?

Mathematical modeling allows us to predict and analyze the movements and behaviors of an articulated vehicle, which can help improve safety, efficiency, and control of the vehicle.

3. What factors are typically included in a mathematical model of an articulated vehicle?

A mathematical model of an articulated vehicle may include factors such as the weight and dimensions of the trailer, the angle and position of the hitch, the type of suspension system, and the road conditions.

4. How accurate are mathematical models of articulated vehicles?

The accuracy of a mathematical model depends on the complexity and precision of the equations and input data used. With proper calibration and validation, mathematical models can provide a high level of accuracy in predicting the behavior of articulated vehicles.

5. Can mathematical models be used to improve the design of articulated vehicles?

Yes, mathematical models can be used to test and evaluate different designs and configurations of articulated vehicles. This can help identify potential issues and optimize the design for improved performance and safety.