What Are the Best Mathematical Physics Books for Self-Study?

In summary: Thanks for the suggestion! This is exactly the kind of book I was looking for. Would you happen to know if the book has exercices and solutions?? Yes the book does have exercices and solutions.
tamtam402
Greetings everyone, I'd like to continue my physics and mathematics education but I'll have to do that on my own since I'm heading into engineering.

I'm looking for a book that would cover a lot of the mathematics that are needed at the undergrad physics level. I'll have Calc 1,2,3, Linear algebra, Statistics and the 3 college level physics (classical mechanics, E&M, wave and modern physics).

Physics news on Phys.org
Mathematical Methods For the Physical Sciences
An informal treatment for students of physics and engineering
By K Riley
(Cambridge University)

Is a good book for self study and will probably complement the maths you will undoubtedly encounter in your engineering studies.

go well

Informal?

Informal?
Yes that is the title of the book.

But it is a very good book, especially fit for the stated purpose.

Informal at Cambridge has perhaps a slightly less bourgeoisie meaning.

Thanks for the suggestion! This is exactly the kind of book I was looking for. Would you happen to know if the book has exercices and solutions??

I also found this book https://www.amazon.com/dp/0521679710/?tag=pfamazon01-20.

It seems to have been written by Riley also. Would that happen to be a newer revision of the book you were talking about?? Sorry if I'm annoying but I plan to buy a physical copy of the book, and these things aren't free!

Last edited by a moderator:
Seems to be much expanded (in the right direction) from my 1974 edition.

So is the price unfortunately.

The original had plenty of worked examples, exercises, solutions and hints.

Studiot said:
Yes that is the title of the book.

But it is a very good book, especially fit for the stated purpose.

Informal at Cambridge has perhaps a slightly less bourgeoisie meaning.

For me informal means not formal, as in not rigorous nor technical enough.

Everyone with his own interpratation of the English language I guess.

1. What is the difference between mathematical physics books and traditional physics books?

Mathematical physics books typically focus on the mathematical foundations of physics, while traditional physics books focus more on the conceptual and experimental aspects of physics. Mathematical physics books often require a strong background in mathematics, whereas traditional physics books may be more accessible to those without a strong math background.

2. Do I need to have a background in mathematics to understand mathematical physics books?

Yes, mathematical physics books typically require a strong foundation in mathematics, including calculus, linear algebra, and differential equations. Without a solid understanding of these mathematical concepts, it can be difficult to fully grasp the material in mathematical physics books.

3. Are there specific mathematical physics books for different branches of physics?

Yes, there are mathematical physics books that focus on specific branches of physics, such as quantum mechanics, classical mechanics, electromagnetism, and general relativity. These books may also vary in the level of mathematical rigor and background required.

4. Can mathematical physics books be used as a reference for solving physics problems?

Yes, mathematical physics books can be a valuable resource for solving physics problems. They often provide a more mathematical and formal approach to problem-solving, which can be helpful in understanding and solving complex problems.

5. Are there any recommended mathematical physics books for beginners?

Yes, there are several mathematical physics books that are recommended for beginners, such as "Mathematical Methods in the Physical Sciences" by Mary L. Boas and "Mathematical Methods for Physicists" by George B. Arfken and Hans J. Weber. These books provide a solid foundation in the mathematical concepts needed for understanding physics.