Mathematician after Electronics engineering

In summary, an engineer with a masters degree in electronics engineering can become a mathematician with a PhD in computer science, but a PhD in computer science is more necessary to be a mathematician in a university.
m_p_w
Can you become a mathematician (work in research in think tanks, or teach in the universities) with masters degree in electronics engineering?
Or do I need to have a second masters degree in mathematics?

Physics news on Phys.org
Most university teaching jobs require a PhD; however they do hire adjunct lecturers with MS degrees. These don't pay well, and are usually treated as temporary, semester to semester appointments.

I have no experience with so-called "think tanks".

What I meant to say was: would I be treated as a mathematician with PhD in electronics engineering.
I am asking this because I met people with a degree (not sure if MS or PhD) in EE who called themselves mathematicians. And they work with digital electronics such as computers, but they also work in different math researches.
And I want to know if you can still do this (these people studied EE in 1950s) or do you need a second degree in mathematics.

I know quite a few PhD electrical engineers who are very good with mathematics - they mostly do image reconstruction from synthetic aperture radar, CAT scans or MRI, or advanced optical design. Some of them have taught on the side - usually optics or electrical engineering courses - as adjunct lecturers or at community colleges.

I think of them (and myself) as applied mathematicians.

I don't know the answer to your question, but I suspect a second degree in computer science would be more productive.

Why do you suspect a second degree in computer science would be more productive?
I have always thought that electronics engineering deals mostly with hardware(a lot more than in CS), but also with software (a lot less than in CS, but still enough to work as a programmer) and more mathematics is taught in electronics engineering than in CS.

While I do know many EE PhDs that are strong mathematically, even those have typically only taken the equivalent of a BS in math, perhaps with one or two graduate level courses. In the department I was in for grad school, the comms/signal processing / controlls PhD students usuall took most or all the undergrad math courses recommended for preparation for math grad school. If you want to be "treated like a mathematician" you most likely need the math PhD - at least in a university. If you are in industry or a "think tank" then it all comes down to what you produce. If you have a track record of publishing innovative mathematics related to your application area, then you will continue to get that kind of work. Chances are you will also have to bring in some of your own funding, and likely do much of your publication "in your own time." That is what I have seen at my company.

jason

Engineers use "Some mathematics" for their work, but they are not as good as mathematicians in mathematics, there is a lot of maths staff they didn't cover. An engineer cannot call theirself a mathematician or physicists, physicist are very good in theory and some of applications. Ebgineers are interested in maths they need, mathematicians do a lot of maths to discover new maths or solution to problems.

1. What is the role of a mathematician in the field of electronics engineering?

A mathematician in electronics engineering plays a crucial role in developing and analyzing complex mathematical models and algorithms to solve engineering problems. They also use mathematical principles to design and optimize electronic devices and systems.

2. What skills and knowledge does a mathematician need to have to work in electronics engineering?

A mathematician working in electronics engineering should have a strong foundation in mathematical concepts such as calculus, linear algebra, and differential equations. They should also have knowledge of computer programming and experience with software tools commonly used in engineering.

3. Can a mathematician work in other areas besides electronics engineering?

Yes, a mathematician can work in a variety of fields, including finance, data analysis, computer science, and cryptography. Their strong analytical and problem-solving skills make them valuable in many industries.

4. How do mathematicians contribute to advancements in electronics engineering?

Mathematicians contribute to advancements in electronics engineering by developing mathematical models that accurately describe the behavior of electronic components and systems. They also use their expertise to optimize and improve existing designs, leading to more efficient and reliable electronic devices.

5. What career opportunities are available for mathematicians in the electronics engineering field?

There are various career opportunities for mathematicians in the electronics engineering field, such as research and development, design and analysis, systems engineering, and project management. They can also work in academia as professors or researchers, or in government agencies as consultants or analysts.