1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Maths - a proof question on the nature of roots of quadratic equations

1. Apr 14, 2012 #1
    I'm sorry, I just realised I put this in the wrong subsection. While I figure out how to fix that, please have a look anyway.
    __

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Given x [itex]\inℝ[/itex]
    And s =[itex]\frac{4(x^{2}) + 3}{2x-1}[/itex]
    Prove that [itex]s^{2}[/itex] -4s - 12 ≥ 0

2. Relevant equations
    The discriminant Δ, (in order for which to be real must be ≥ 0)
    b^2 - 4ac ≥ 0

3. The attempt at a solution
    Doing the algebra isn't the problem, I'm having trouble understanding the question itself. For this sort of proof, don't I need to work with
    s =[itex]\frac{4(x^{2}) + 3}{2x-1}[/itex]
    instead of the statement to be proven, which is [itex]s^{2}[/itex] -4s - 12 ≥ 0?

In which case, how do I apply the b^2 - 4ac rule with the linear equation part in the denominator?

Last edited: Apr 14, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 15, 2012 #2
    The variable is ##x##, so make the given equation look like a regular quadratic in ##x##. Then pick off what ##a##, ##b##, and ##c## are and write the inequality for ##\Delta## in terms of those. It will quickly resolve into what's requested.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook