MATHS INTEGRATION, Wont let me post in calculus forum

In summary, the attempted solution to integrating 1/(sqrt(2x-x^2)) between 0 and 2 was to use Simpsons rule to approximate but it didn't get close enough to the answer to justify the procedure. The answer was pi.
ProPatto16
MATHS INTEGRATION, Wont let me post in calculus forum :(

Homework Statement

Integrate 1/(sqrt(2x-x^2)) between 0 and 2.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea what method to use to try and integrate it, I've played around with it for hours but it ends up not working out anyway, since The function is undefined at both 0 and 2 anyway.

so i have no idea??

i tried using simpsons rule to approximate but it doesn't get me close enough to the answer to justify my procedure

the answer is pi.
i just have no idea how to get it.

Sorry for posting in this forum but it won't let me start threads in the calculus and beyond one.

Thanks for any help!

Physics news on Phys.org

ProPatto16 said:

Homework Statement

Integrate 1/(sqrt(2x-x^2)) between 0 and 2.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea what method to use to try and integrate it, I've played around with it for hours but it ends up not working out anyway, since The function is undefined at both 0 and 2 anyway.

so i have no idea??

i tried using simpsons rule to approximate but it doesn't get me close enough to the answer to justify my procedure

the answer is pi.
i just have no idea how to get it.

Sorry for posting in this forum but it won't let me start threads in the calculus and beyond one.

Thanks for any help!

I was able to solve this with the substitution u=x-1, this results in an integral as follows

[tex]\int_{-1}^1{{du}\over{\sqrt{1-u^2}}}[/tex]

It may or may not be obvious from here depending on how well you know your derivatives of inverse trig functions (e.g. inverse sine).

yesss makes sense, i can see it already, i tried something very similar to that, using substitutions and table of integrals, i had a resulting integral with inverse sin too! BUT i forgot to re-calculate the bounds.

Thanks a lot! :)

butttt

that integral comes out to sin-1 (u/a)... with bounds -1 and 1 it gives sin-1(0) which is 0, and sin-1(-2) which is undefined

i think i still went wrong somewhere...

ProPatto16 said:
butttt

that integral comes out to sin-1 (u/a)... with bounds -1 and 1 it gives sin-1(0) which is 0, and sin-1(-2) which is undefined

i think i still went wrong somewhere...

Where did the "a" come from?

a just equals 1 anyway

let 1 = a so its 1/sqrt(a^2 - u^2) then from table of integrals its sin-1 u/a.. in this case its just sin-1 (u) since a = 1 anyway.

so then its [sin-1 (x-1)] between -1 and 1

ProPatto16 said:
a just equals 1 anyway

let 1 = a so its 1/sqrt(a^2 - u^2) then from table of integrals its sin-1 u/a.. in this case its just sin-1 (u) since a = 1 anyway.

so then its [sin-1 (x-1)] between -1 and 1

Yes, and you don't even need a table really. You just need to know the derivative of asin(u) with respect to u. (well, yeah that is what an integral table is, i guess) :smile:

yeah.. but then when you go to evaluate it you end up with asin(1-1)=asin(0)=0 and asin(-1-1)=asin(-2) which is undefined... :frown:

ProPatto16 said:
yeah.. but then when you go to evaluate it you end up with asin(1-1)=asin(0)=0 and asin(-1-1)=asin(-2) which is undefined... :frown:

No, check again. What is the sine of pi/2? What is the sine of -pi/2?

ahhh i worked it out... another silly mistake, I am getting good at these...

Instead of subbing the bounds directly into u, i subbed the bounds into x-1 forgetting that id already re-calculated the bounds to allows for the substitution.

so it should be asin(1) and asin(-1) which yes comes out to 2 x pi/2 = pi.

thank you:)

1. What is integration in math?

Integration in math is a process of finding the area under a curve or the accumulation of smaller values to determine the total value. It is the inverse of differentiation and is used to solve various problems in calculus and other branches of mathematics.

2. What are the basic rules of integration?

The basic rules of integration include the power rule, constant multiple rule, sum rule, and substitution rule. These rules are used to manipulate and simplify integrals to make them easier to solve.

3. How is integration used in real life?

Integration has many real-life applications, including calculating areas and volumes, determining displacement and velocity in physics, and finding the average value of a function. It is also used in economics, engineering, and other fields.

4. What is the difference between indefinite and definite integration?

Indefinite integration involves finding the general antiderivative of a function, whereas definite integration involves finding the specific value of an integral within a given range. Indefinite integration results in a family of functions, while definite integration gives a single numerical value.

5. How can I improve my integration skills?

To improve your integration skills, practice solving a variety of integrals and familiarize yourself with the different rules and techniques. Additionally, understanding the concepts behind integration and its applications can also help in mastering this mathematical skill.