Matrices problem, K = ? so that its a linear transformation R^3->R^2?

In summary, the conversation is about determining the value of k in a linear transformation from R^3 to R^2 based on the condition that the transformation must be "onto." The participants discuss using row reduction to find the value of k that would make the second row of the matrix equal to [0 0 0], and determine that the correct value is k = 9/2.
mr_coffee
Hello everyone, I'm confused on this problem:
It says:
A linear transformation T:R^3->R^2 whose matrix is
2 -4 -3
-3 6 0+k

is onto if k != ?
!= meaning, not equal.

So my thinking was, For it to be a transformation into R^2, doesn't that mean k isn't suppose mean that the column
0+k
has to some how come out to be
so your only left with
2 -4
-3 6

so that would be in R^2 right?
i'm confused, am i thinking wrong? or is there some trick to easily find what k isn't suppose to be? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
T will be "onto" R2 as long as, after row reduction, the second row is not [0 0 0]. What value of k would make the second row [0 0 0]?

THanks Halls, but I'm slighly confused,
I row reduced and got:
2 -4 -3
0 0 2k

so 2k = 0?
so no value of k will equal 0, unless its 0, which isn't right.
So i thought maybe i have to write it out like:
2x - 4y -3k = 0
0 + 0 +2k = 0
k = 0;
2x -4y = 0;
so if x = 2, and y = 1 then u'll get 0 = 0, but that's for the top row...hm..what am i not getting? THanks!

You started with
[2 -4 -3]
[-3 6 0+k]
which I take to mean
[2 -4 -3]
[-3 6 k]

To "row-reduce" add 3/2 the first row to the second row.
3/2(2)= 3 and adding that to -3 gives 0
3/2(-4)= -6 and adding that to 6 gives 0
3/2(-3)= -9/2 and adding that to k give k- 9/2. that will equal 0 when
k= 9/2.

ahhh i c were I messed up! thanks Ivy it worked great! :biggrin:

1. What is a matrix?

A matrix is a rectangular array of numbers or variables arranged in rows and columns. It is often used in mathematics and science to represent and solve systems of equations, transformations, and other mathematical operations.

2. What is a linear transformation?

A linear transformation is a function that maps vectors from one vector space to another while preserving the basic structure and operations of the original space. In other words, the transformation must follow the rules of linearity, such as scaling, addition, and subtraction.

3. How does a matrix represent a linear transformation?

A matrix can represent a linear transformation by mapping the basis vectors of the input space to the corresponding basis vectors of the output space. Each column of the matrix represents the coordinates of the output basis vectors, while each row represents the coordinates of the input basis vectors.

4. What is the dimension of a linear transformation?

The dimension of a linear transformation is determined by the number of rows and columns in the matrix that represents it. In the case of a transformation from R^3 to R^2, the matrix will have 3 rows and 2 columns, indicating that the input space has 3 dimensions and the output space has 2 dimensions.

5. How can I find the value of K for a given linear transformation from R^3 to R^2?

The value of K can be found by solving the system of equations represented by the linear transformation. This can be done by setting up the transformation matrix and using Gaussian elimination or other methods to solve for the values of K that satisfy the transformation rules.