Matrix Element of Position Operator

In summary, the task is to calculate the general matrix element of the position operator in the basis of the eigenstates of the infinite square well. The attempt at a solution involves substituting the sin eigenfunctions into the integral and using the relation sin(x)sin(y)=(cos(x-y)-cos(x+y))/2. The result of the integral may be negative, but this is not necessarily incorrect. When using the same method with the momentum operator, the resulting integral may produce a zero value, but this does not mean that the momentum operator is represented by a matrix with all zeros.
phrygian

Homework Statement

Calculate the general matrix element of the position operator in the basis of the eigenstates of the infinite square well.

Homework Equations

[tex]|\psi\rangle =\sqrt{\frac{2}{a}}\sin{\frac{n \pi x}{a}}[/tex]

[tex]x_{n,m}=\langle\psi_{n}|\hat{x}|\psi_{m}\rangle=\int^a_0\psi^\star_{n} x \psi_mdx[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

What I tried doing is substituting the sin eigenfections into the integral and then using the relation that sin(x)sin(y)=(cos(x-y)-cos(x+y))/2 and then integrating from 0 to a. I keep getting a negative answer, am I using the wrong approach? I know this doesn't work when m=n, but shouldn't it work when they aren't equal?

Thanks for the help

Physics news on Phys.org
Sounds like you're doing it right. Why do you think a negative answer for the off-diagonal elements is wrong?

I guess I was thinking of it as an expectation value which I now see is not correct.

When use this same method using the momentum operator, -i hbar d/dx, I get an integral with Sin(npix/a)Cos(npix/a), which must be zero when integrated from 0 to a by integral identities, correct? What does this mean then if the momentum operator is represented by a matrix with all zeros?

No, it won't be all zeros. Remember you're not always integrating over a full period (depending on what m and n equal), so you can't use orthogonality to say the integrals will all be zero.

!

I would like to clarify that the position operator is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics and is represented by the operator ^x. It is defined as the observable that measures the position of a particle in space.

To calculate the matrix element of the position operator, we need to use the eigenstates of the infinite square well, which are given by |\psi_n\rangle = \sqrt{\frac{2}{a}}\sin{\frac{n \pi x}{a}}. These eigenstates form a complete orthonormal basis for the Hilbert space of the infinite square well.

Using the definition of the position operator, we can write the matrix element as x_{n,m} = \langle\psi_{n}|\hat{x}|\psi_{m}\rangle. Substituting the sin eigenfunctions into the integral and using the trigonometric identity mentioned in the problem, we get x_{n,m} = \frac{1}{2}\int^a_0 \psi_n^*(x)(\cos{\frac{(n-m)\pi x}{a}} - \cos{\frac{(n+m)\pi x}{a}})\psi_m(x)dx.

Since \psi_n(x) and \psi_m(x) are orthogonal for n \neq m, the second term in the integral vanishes and we are left with x_{n,m} = \frac{1}{2}\int^a_0 \psi_n^*(x)\cos{\frac{(n-m)\pi x}{a}}\psi_m(x)dx. This can be further simplified by using the trigonometric identity \cos{\alpha}\sin{\beta} = \frac{1}{2}(\sin{(\alpha+\beta)} + \sin{(\alpha-\beta)}), which gives us x_{n,m} = \frac{1}{4}\int^a_0 (\psi_n^*(x)\psi_{m+1}(x) + \psi_n^*(x)\psi_{m-1}(x))dx.

Finally, using the normalization condition of the eigenstates, we can simplify the integral to x_{n,m} = \frac{a}{4}\delta_{n,m\pm1}, where \delta_{n,m} is the Kronecker delta function.

Therefore, the general matrix element of the position operator in the basis of the eigenstates of the infinite square well is given

1. What is the "Matrix Element of Position Operator"?

The Matrix Element of Position Operator is a mathematical quantity used in quantum mechanics to describe the probability amplitude of a particle being at a certain position in space. It is represented by the symbol <X> and is a complex number that depends on the specific state of the particle.

2. How is the "Matrix Element of Position Operator" calculated?

The Matrix Element of Position Operator is calculated by taking the inner product of the position eigenstate with the state vector of the particle. This can be represented by the integral of the wavefunction multiplied by the complex conjugate of the position operator, or <X> = ∫Ψ(x)XΨ*(x) dx.

3. What is the significance of the "Matrix Element of Position Operator" in quantum mechanics?

The Matrix Element of Position Operator is significant because it allows us to calculate the probability of a particle being at a certain position in space. This is important in understanding the behavior of quantum particles, as their exact position cannot be determined, only the probability of finding them at a certain location.

4. How does the "Matrix Element of Position Operator" relate to uncertainty principle?

The Matrix Element of Position Operator is related to the uncertainty principle in that it is used to calculate the position uncertainty of a particle. The uncertainty principle states that the more precisely you know the position of a particle, the less precisely you can know its momentum, and vice versa. The Matrix Element of Position Operator helps to quantify this uncertainty in position.

5. Can the "Matrix Element of Position Operator" be used for any type of particle?

Yes, the Matrix Element of Position Operator can be used for any type of particle that can be described by a wavefunction. This includes particles with both mass and charge, such as electrons, as well as particles with no mass, such as photons. It is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics and can be applied to any quantum system.