1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Matrix representation for a transformation

1. May 8, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Consider the linear transformation T: R2-->R2, where
    T(x1, x2, x3)= (3x2-x3, x1+4x2+x3)

a. Find a matrix which implements this mapping.
    b. Is this transformation one-to-one? Is it onto? Explain.

2. Relevant equations
    [T(x)]_B = ([T]_B) (x_B)

3. The attempt at a solution
    The matrix that implements this mapping would be the representation ([T]_B). I think that (x_B) is the vector [x1, x2, x3] and that [T(x)]_B is (3x2-x3, x1+4x2+x3) relative to the {x1, x2, x3} basis. So then ([T]_B) must be the matrix:

0 3 -1
    1 4 1

Row-reducing this matrix to echelon form gives 2 pivots, so the transformation is onto since the system is consistent, but it is not one-to-one because the system is linearly dependent.

Are all my thoughts correct for this problem?
  2. jcsd
  3. May 8, 2008 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The matrix is correct. T:R3->R2, not R2->R2. Your conclusions are also correct. Though I would probably figure them out in a less abstract way than counting 'pivots'.
  4. May 9, 2008 #3
    How would you come to the conclusions? Would you first just point out that there are more columns than rows so one-to-one is not a possibility?
  5. May 9, 2008 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You might, for instance, find two distinct vectors of R3 which map into the same thing.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?