Pivoting (Gaussian elimination)

In summary, the conversation discusses using Gaussian elimination with pivoting to find the values of x1, x2, and x3 in a system of equations. The lecturer's method, which involves circling the maximum element in each column, is mentioned but there is confusion about why all the largest elements would be in the same row. The poster suggests swapping rows 1 and 2 to follow the method, and the other person advises learning LaTeX for future use. The conversation ends with the question of whether the lecturer's method can be used for this question.
fonseh

Homework Statement

x1 + 2x2 = 9 ,
6x1 + 6x2 -8x3 = 1 ,
-3x2 +x3 = 0 [/B]
Here's a question from my book . I'm asked to find the x1 , x2 and x3 by using the gaussian elimination with pivoting .

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Pls refer to this thread for the lecturer's method
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/gaussian-elimination-pivoting.905132/#post-5699372[/B]
By using the lecturer's method ( circle out the max element in each column ) , I found that all the greatest element lies in 6x1+ 6x2 - 8x3 = 1 ...
So , how could all the largest element lies in the same row ?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
fonseh said:
So , how could all the largest element lies in the same row ?
Fate, coincidence, exercise composer's whim, anything. It happens. You just play along and swap rows 1 and 2 -- by the book . :wink:

Likes fonseh and Logical Dog
And if we are going to do much more of this, you should learn a bit of ##\LaTeX## instead of making photos. It's fun and pretty easy.
Code:
$$\begin{pmatrix}
1 & 2& 0 & 9 \\
6 & 6 & -8 & 1 \\
0 & -3 & 1 & 0
\end {pmatrix} $$
gives you
$$\begin{pmatrix}
1 & 2& 0 & 9 \\
6 & 6 & -8 & 1 \\
0 & -3 & 1 & 0
\end {pmatrix} $$

Likes fonseh
So
BvU said:
Fate, coincidence, exercise composer's whim, anything. It happens. You just play along and swap rows 1 and 2 -- by the book . :wink:
So , I can't use the lecturer's method to do this question ?

fonseh said:
So

So , I can't use the lecturer's method to do this question ?

In the thread

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/gaussian-elimination.904589/

I gave you a detailed explanation of Gaussian elimination and pivoting, along with the main reasons that pivoting is performed at all. You should go back and actually READ that explantion.

Likes BvU

What is pivoting in Gaussian elimination?

Pivoting is a technique used in Gaussian elimination, a method for solving systems of linear equations. It involves rearranging the equations in a system to avoid potential division by zero or to improve numerical stability.

Why is pivoting important in Gaussian elimination?

Pivoting is important because it helps to prevent errors in the calculation of solutions to systems of linear equations. Without pivoting, a system of equations may be unsolvable or have inaccurate solutions due to division by zero or rounding errors.

How does pivoting work in Gaussian elimination?

Pivoting works by rearranging the equations in a system so that the coefficient of the variable with the largest absolute value is placed in the leading position. This helps to reduce potential errors and improve the accuracy of the solutions.

What are the benefits of pivoting in Gaussian elimination?

Pivoting offers several benefits in Gaussian elimination, including improved numerical stability, reduced errors, and more accurate solutions. It also allows for the successful solution of systems that would otherwise be unsolvable.

Are there any drawbacks to using pivoting in Gaussian elimination?

While pivoting generally offers many benefits, it can also be time-consuming and computationally intensive. In some cases, it may also lead to slight variations in the solutions obtained, which may or may not be significant depending on the context of the problem.