Matrix Similarity Proof - need someone to check if it's correct

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of finding when two matrices, A and B, are equal. It is noted that if B is similar to A, then A is similar to B, and since A is equal to the identity matrix, it can be substituted in to show that B is also equal to A. The conversation ends with the suggestion that it may be necessary to show the reverse relationship between A and B being similar.
jumbogala

Homework Statement

My textbook has no answers so I was wondering if someone could let me know if I'm right.

The question: A and B are m x n matrices.
Let A = I. Find when B = A.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

What I did seems too easy:

If B ~ A, then A ~ B (this is just a property of similarity)

Since A = I, we can sub in for A

So B = A

Did I just argue myself in circles?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
That's fine. You can take the 'I' out because IP=P. 'I' is the identity matrix.

Great, thank you! Do you think it's necessary to show that if A ~ B, B ~ A?

jumbogala said:
Great, thank you! Do you think it's necessary to show that if A ~ B, B ~ A?

If you're not clear on why it's true, you should probably show it. It's easy enough.

1. What is a matrix similarity proof?

A matrix similarity proof is a mathematical technique used to determine whether two matrices are similar, meaning they have the same eigenvalues and eigenvectors. It involves finding a transformation matrix that can convert one matrix into the other.

2. How do you check if a matrix similarity proof is correct?

To check the correctness of a matrix similarity proof, you need to verify that the transformation matrix used in the proof is invertible. This means that it can be multiplied by its inverse to get the original matrix. Additionally, you can verify that the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of both matrices are the same.

3. What is the importance of matrix similarity proof?

Matrix similarity proof is important because it allows us to simplify complex matrices into more manageable forms. It also helps us understand the relationship between different matrices and their properties.

4. What are some applications of matrix similarity proof?

Matrix similarity proof is used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and computer science. It is used for analyzing data, solving differential equations, and studying the behavior of linear systems.

5. Can two matrices be similar but not identical?

Yes, two matrices can be similar but not identical. This means that they have the same eigenvalues and eigenvectors, but their actual values may differ. This is because the transformation matrix used in the proof only transforms the structure of the matrix, not its values.