1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Matrix Transformation ugly problem

1. Mar 28, 2007 #1
    1) Let U be a plane through the origin in R^3 with a nonzero normal vector n=[a b c]^T. Find the projection matrix of X=[x1 x2 x3]^T onto U.

I got this question from my linear algebra test today and I am dying on it.

I tried something out but ended up with a terribly ugly result in which I have no confidence of it being right.

My method:
    Since (projection of X onto n) gives the perpendicular (closeest) distance from X to the plane U, I have the following inequality: (in orthongonal complement of U)
    (projection of X onto n) = X - (projection of X onto U) (<-is this right?)
    and then solve for (projection of X onto U) for which I can obtain the induced matrix by factoring the matrix [x1 x2 x3]^T out
    and this ends up with some ugly calculations (this question only worth 5 marks, how can I take that long?)

Is there a flaw in this thinking? Is it right?

I seriously think I have missed something...Is there a very easy method to do this question? Can someone teach me? I can't sleep without it.

Thanks a lot!
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 29, 2007 #2
    Is there anyone good in linear algebra who can help me? thanks
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2007
  4. Mar 30, 2007 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

With the normal vector given as just the general <a, b, c>, I don't see any really quick way to do it. It's easy to see that a unit vector normal to the plane is <a/L, b/L, c/L> where L is the length of <a, b, c>: [itex]\sqrt{a^2+ b^2+ c^2}[/itex]. The projection of the basis vector <1, 0, 0> onto that line is [itex]<a^2/L^2, b/L^2, c/L^2>[/itex] and so its projection onto the plane is [itex]<(b^2+ c^2)/L^2, -b/L^2, -c/L^2>. Similarly, the projection of <0, 1, 0> onto the plane is [itex]<-a/L^2, (a^2+ c^2)/L^2,-c/L^2) and the projection of <0, 0, 1> onto the plane is [itex]<-a/L^2, -b/L^2, (a^2+ b^2)/L^2>. The matrix representation of the projection is the matrix having those vectors as columns.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?