Matrix-vector differential equation proof

In summary, we are asked to prove that the given function x(t) is a solution to the differential equation x' = Ax, where y1 and y2 are given matrices. The first step in this proof would be to differentiate x(t), but the original poster is not sure how to do so. Another user suggests calculating x' and A.x and showing that they are equivalent, but this would require knowing the matrix A.
tracedinair

Homework Statement

Prove that x(t) = c1y1e^-2t + c2y1e^5t

is a solution to x' = Ax

given that y1 is the matrix

( 1 )
( -3 ) and y2 is the matrix

(2)
(1)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I've never had to do a lot of proofs and I am not really sure of where to start this problem. I know I'm supposed to differentiate X but I don't know how to do so..

Physics news on Phys.org
hi tracedinair

do you have the matrix A? if so it could be as easy as calculating x' and A.x and showing they are equivalent

1. What is a matrix-vector differential equation?

A matrix-vector differential equation is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between a matrix and a vector. It involves the derivatives of both the matrix and vector, and is often used in physics and engineering to model dynamic systems.

2. How is a matrix-vector differential equation solved?

There is no general method for solving a matrix-vector differential equation, as the approach may differ depending on the specific equation and initial conditions. However, common techniques include using numerical methods, such as Euler's method, or finding the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of the matrix.

3. What is the role of the initial conditions in a matrix-vector differential equation?

The initial conditions specify the values of the matrix and vector at a specific time or point in the equation. They are necessary for solving the equation and finding a specific solution that satisfies the given conditions.

4. Can a matrix-vector differential equation have multiple solutions?

Yes, a matrix-vector differential equation can have multiple solutions. This is because the equation is typically a system of equations, and there can be multiple combinations of values for the matrix and vector that satisfy the equations.

5. What are some real-world applications of matrix-vector differential equations?

Matrix-vector differential equations have many applications in physics and engineering, such as modeling the motion of particles in a magnetic field, predicting the behavior of electrical circuits, and studying population dynamics in biology. They are also used in economics and social sciences to model complex systems.