Matter waves - Real or Hypothetical?

In summary, the two statements have something to do with each other because they are discussing the same thing, phonons. However, the two statements are discussing two different things. The first statement is discussing the different types of phonons, while the second statement is discussing the physical nature of phonons.
nahira
Hi my expert friends,

I'm confused with these seemingly two contradictory statements:

1- Phonons are the quantized quasi-particles of the normal modes of lattice vibrations and we have Longitudinal (LA) and Transverse Acoustical (TA) Phonons and Longitudinal (LO) and Transverse Optical (TO) Phonons

2- de Broglie Matter waves are neither transverse nor longitudinal. They do not represent any physical oscillations and obviously wave solution for Ψ cannot have a polarization associated with it.

Can anyone explain, clearly, the associated phonons waves are those lattice normal modes of viberation (which can be either transverse or longitudinal) or they are hypothetical waves (which do not represent any real physical oscillations)?

Thank you in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
Phonon waves are NOT "de Broglie Matter waves"! Normal modes of lattice vibrations is not the same as particle waves due to quantum particles moving with a particular momentum.

Zz.

Why do you think those two statements have anything to do with each other?

Vanadium 50 said:
Why do you think those two statements have anything to do with each other?

Let me clarify what I meant,
Suppose that I have a purely sinusoidal traveling transverse wave. I want to know can I assign a quasi-particle to it? If yes, the associated wave of this quasi-particle isn't transverse?

ZapperZ, you are right. normal modes are stationary. but my original question still is unanswered, are phonon waves hypothetical or they have any physical representation in the lattice?

are phonon waves hypothetical or they have any physical representation in the lattice?

unsure what you mean by "physical representation" but such excitations sure do have effects on the state of lattice structures...

Do you consider "lattice vibrations" a "physical representation"??

good discussion here: ...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phonon#Lattice_waves

nahira: I just noticed the wording in the second part of your first post:

Matter waves are neither transverse nor longitudinal. They do not represent any physical oscillations

sounds like you DO consider lattice vibrations a "physcial representation"...

so I may be missing your real intent...

nahira said:
Let me clarify what I meant,
Suppose that I have a purely sinusoidal traveling transverse wave. I want to know can I assign a quasi-particle to it? If yes, the associated wave of this quasi-particle isn't transverse?

ZapperZ, you are right. normal modes are stationary. but my original question still is unanswered, are phonon waves hypothetical or they have any physical representation in the lattice?

This is rather puzzling. You cannot assign a "particle" to anything you like, such as a "sinusoidal" wave. A "quasiparticle" isn't something that anyone can invent! There is a very strict rule on what a quasiparticle is, per Landau's Fermi Liquid theory!

Phonons are as physical as any collective excitation.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
This is rather puzzling. You cannot assign a "particle" to anything you like, such as a "sinusoidal" wave. A "quasiparticle" isn't something that anyone can invent! There is a very strict rule on what a quasiparticle is, per Landau's Fermi Liquid theory!

Phonons are as physical as any collective excitation.

Zz.

Thanks to you my brother.
I've got the point. :smile:

1. Are matter waves real or just a theoretical concept?

It is still a topic of debate among scientists whether matter waves are real or just a hypothetical concept. Some argue that they are a fundamental property of matter, while others believe they are simply a mathematical construct to explain the behavior of particles at the quantum level.

2. What evidence supports the existence of matter waves?

The concept of matter waves was first proposed by Louis de Broglie in the 1920s, based on his observations of electron diffraction patterns. Later experiments, such as the double-slit experiment, also provided evidence for the wave-like behavior of particles, further supporting the existence of matter waves.

3. How are matter waves different from other types of waves?

Matter waves, also known as de Broglie waves, are different from classical waves such as sound or light waves. They are a type of quantum wave, meaning they describe the probability of finding a particle at a certain location. Unlike classical waves, matter waves do not require a medium to propagate.

4. Do all particles have matter waves?

According to the de Broglie hypothesis, all particles have a wave-like nature, including electrons, protons, and even larger particles like atoms and molecules. However, the effects of matter waves are most noticeable at the quantum level, where the wavelength of particles is significant compared to their size.

5. Can matter waves be observed directly?

No, matter waves cannot be observed directly. They are a mathematical concept used to describe the behavior of particles at the quantum level. However, their effects can be observed through experiments such as diffraction and interference patterns, providing evidence for their existence.