Suppose gravitons and Higgs were quasiparticles like phonons

In summary, it is well known that gravitons expressed in QFT are perturbatively non-renormalizable at high energies, while Higgs bosons suffer from quadratic radiative corrections. Recent research has explored the idea that gravity may be the result of entropy, leading to speculation about the microscopic structure of spacetime. In condense matter physics, quasiparticles are known to exist, which has led to the suggestion that gravity and Higgs bosons may be analogous to phonons and not fundamental forces. This theory raises questions about the potential existence of virtual quasiparticles and the impacts of treating gravity and Higgs in this manner. While composite Higgs fields have been considered, composite gravitons have not due to the
  • #1
ensabah6
695
0
It's well known that gravitons expressed in QFT is perturbatively non-renormalizable at high energies. Higgs bosons suffers from quadratic radiative corrections.

Recently Verlinde proposed gravity is the result of entropy. This has led researches to speculate on the microscopic structure of spacetime.

In condense matter physics quasiparticles are known to exist.

Suppose that gravity is not a fundamental force, and gravitons, and higgs bosons are really quasiparticles in analogy to phonons. i.e Higgs is not a fundamental scalar but a composite, perhaps a 4-fermion quark or neutrino interaction. Would problems of run-away self-interactions pose a problem in this paradigm?

What would be the physics ramifications if we treat Higgs and gravity in analogy to quasiparticles in condense matter physics, and followed rules analogously to phonons?

i.e are there any virtual quasiparticles on this list that if they were to self-interact not lead to infinities so by analogy gravitons modeled on this would also not lead to infinities ?

Bipolaron A bound pair of two polarons
Chargon A quasiparticle produced as a result of electron spin-charge separation
Composite fermion Bound state of an electron and magnetic flux quanta
Configuron An elementary configurational excitation in an amorphous material which involves breaking of a chemical bond
Electron quasiparticle An electron as affected by the other forces and interactions in the solid
Electron hole (hole) A lack of electron in a valence band
Exciton A bound state of an electron and a hole
Fracton A collective quantized vibration on a substrate with a fractal structure.
Holon A quasi-particle resulting as a result of electron spin-charge separation
Libron A quasiparticle associated with the librational motion of molecules in a molecular crystal.
Magnon A coherent excitation of electron spins in a material
Majorana fermion A quasiparticle equal to its own antiparticle, emerging as a midgap state in certain superconductors
Phason Vibrational modes in a quasicrystal associated with atomic rearrangements
Phonon Vibrational modes in a crystal lattice associated with atomic shifts
Plasmon A coherent excitation of a plasma
Polaron A moving charged quasiparticle that is surrounded by ions in a material
Polariton A mixture of photon with other quasiparticles
Roton Elementary excitation in superfluid Helium-4
Soliton A self-reinforcing solitary excitation wave
Spinon A quasiparticle produced as a result of electron spin-charge separation
 
Physics news on Phys.org
  • #2
There is an old class of models known as technicolor (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Technicolor_(physics )) in which the Higgs is a composite particle. You might want to research those models a bit. They aren't completely ruled out by experiment and collider physicists continue to search for signals in their data.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
  • #3
ensabah6 said:
In condense matter physics quasiparticles are known to exist.

Suppose that gravity is not a fundamental force, and gravitons, and higgs bosons are really quasiparticles in analogy to phonons. i.e Higgs is not a fundamental scalar but a composite, perhaps a 4-fermion quark or neutrino interaction.

Composite Higgs fields have been considered since ages, say early 80's, and here is a recent analysis that should answer your "suppose" question:
http://www-spires.dur.ac.uk/cgi-bin/spiface/hep/www?eprint=arXiv:1003.3251

Composite gravitons were not considered since around the same time, because the Weinberg-Witten theorem rules them out. So nothing to suppose here.

S.Weinberg and E. Witten, Limits On Massless Particles, Phys. Lett. B 96, 59 (1980).
 
Last edited by a moderator:
  • #4
suprised said:
Composite Higgs fields have been considered since ages, say early 80's, and here is a recent analysis that should answer your "suppose" question:
http://www-spires.dur.ac.uk/cgi-bin/spiface/hep/www?eprint=arXiv:1003.3251

Composite gravitons were not considered since around the same time, because the Weinberg-Witten theorem rules them out. So nothing to suppose here.

S.Weinberg and E. Witten, Limits On Massless Particles, Phys. Lett. B 96, 59 (1980).


If gravitons are quasiparticles, does this imply they must be composite?

Does the WW-theorem apply to gravity as entropy?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
  • #5
ensabah6 said:
If gravitons are quasiparticles, does this imply they must be composite?
Sure, that's what a quasi-particle is supposed to be.

ensabah6 said:
Does the WW-theorem apply to gravity as entropy?

I really can't answer for sure right now.
 
  • #6
suprised said:
Composite Higgs fields have been considered since ages, say early 80's, and here is a recent analysis that should answer your "suppose" question:
http://www-spires.dur.ac.uk/cgi-bin/spiface/hep/www?eprint=arXiv:1003.3251

Composite gravitons were not considered since around the same time, because the Weinberg-Witten theorem rules them out. So nothing to suppose here.

S.Weinberg and E. Witten, Limits On Massless Particles, Phys. Lett. B 96, 59 (1980).

fzero said:
There is an old class of models known as technicolor (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Technicolor_(physics )) in which the Higgs is a composite particle. You might want to research those models a bit. They aren't completely ruled out by experiment and collider physicists continue to search for signals in their data.



If Higgs are composite in some way, is there still a hierachy problem?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
  • #7
ensabah6 said:
If Higgs are composite in some way, is there still a hierachy problem?

Depends on the details, but the idea is that this solves the problem - the Higgs composite scale is then given by some strong coupling dynamics, it can be due to some other gauge theory that forms a Higgs-like bound state at some dynamically generated scale, for example.

If you are interested in various incarnations of the Higgs mechanism, why don't you have a look into the following review: http://www-spires.dur.ac.uk/cgi-bin/spiface/hep/www?eprint=arXiv:0910.4976
This surveys the various ideas from a phenomenological point of view.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
  • #8
suprised said:
Depends on the details, but the idea is that this solves the problem - the Higgs composite scale is then given by some strong coupling dynamics, it can be due to some other gauge theory that forms a Higgs-like bound state at some dynamically generated scale, for example.

If you are interested in various incarnations of the Higgs mechanism, why don't you have a look into the following review: http://www-spires.dur.ac.uk/cgi-bin/spiface/hep/www?eprint=arXiv:0910.4976
This surveys the various ideas from a phenomenological point of view.

I'll take a look, it seems the alternative, SUSY, and then SUSY-partners, then SUSY breaking mechanism, rather inelegant.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

What are gravitons and Higgs particles?

Gravitons and Higgs particles are theoretical particles proposed by physicists to explain gravity and the origin of mass, respectively. Gravitons are thought to be the carriers of the gravitational force, while Higgs particles are believed to give other particles their mass.

What is a quasiparticle?

A quasiparticle is a collective excitation or disturbance in a material that behaves like a particle at the macroscopic level. They are not fundamental particles, but rather emergent phenomena that arise from interactions between particles in a material.

How are gravitons and Higgs particles similar to phonons?

Just like phonons are quasiparticles that arise from interactions between atoms in a material, gravitons and Higgs particles are proposed to be quasiparticles that emerge from interactions between particles in space-time. In other words, they are all considered to be emergent phenomena rather than fundamental particles.

What implications would this theory have on our understanding of gravity and mass?

If gravitons and Higgs particles are indeed quasiparticles like phonons, it would challenge our current understanding of gravity and mass as fundamental concepts. This could potentially lead to a deeper understanding of these phenomena and open up new avenues for research.

Is there any experimental evidence for this theory?

At this time, there is no experimental evidence to support the idea that gravitons and Higgs particles are quasiparticles like phonons. However, this theory is still being studied and researched, and future experiments may provide evidence for or against it.

Similar threads

  • Beyond the Standard Models
Replies
7
Views
4K
  • Atomic and Condensed Matter
Replies
1
Views
2K
  • Beyond the Standard Models
Replies
1
Views
264
  • Beyond the Standard Models
Replies
2
Views
2K
  • Beyond the Standard Models
Replies
7
Views
2K
  • Beyond the Standard Models
Replies
34
Views
4K
  • High Energy, Nuclear, Particle Physics
2
Replies
48
Views
19K
  • Electrical Engineering
Replies
12
Views
1K
  • High Energy, Nuclear, Particle Physics
Replies
2
Views
2K
  • Beyond the Standard Models
Replies
6
Views
6K
Back
Top