Max and min problem with 3 unknowns

In summary, the conversation is about a college assignment involving 3 unknowns. The main difficulty is inexperience with max and min problems. The person has made an attempt at a solution and is seeking feedback. The homework statement involves finding V for maximum E and the homework equations include the product rule. The person is confident in their approach but wants someone to look it over. The assignment is not due for a week.
Simon.T
Hi,

I have this question for a college assignment. It involves 3 'unknowns' (not 3 variables, since 2 are constants). The main difficulty I am having is inexperience with max and min problems where you cannot fully evalaute the solution.

I think I have made a reasonable attempt at a solution, I would appreciate it if someone would take a brief look tell me what you think.

Thanks!

Homework Statement

Find V for maximum E, hence find E_max.

u and [tex]\theta[/tex] are constants.

Homework Equations

Product rule: [tex]\frac{dy}{dx}=u\frac{dv}{dx}+v\frac{du}{dx}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Looks fine to me (although I just skimmed some of the algebra). Do you know yet if it's the correct answer?

berkeman said:
Looks fine to me (although I just skimmed some of the algebra). Do you know yet if it's the correct answer?

Hi, thanks for taking a look at my question.

The whole assignment isn't due for a week or so yet, so I won't find out for a while.

I am somewhat confident of my approach but was just wanting someone to look it over.

Cheers!

What is a "Max and min problem with 3 unknowns"?

A "Max and min problem with 3 unknowns" is a mathematical problem that involves finding the maximum and minimum values of a function with three variables or unknowns. These types of problems are commonly encountered in optimization and applied mathematics.

What are the steps to solve a "Max and min problem with 3 unknowns"?

The steps to solve a "Max and min problem with 3 unknowns" are as follows:

1. Define the variables and write the function that represents the problem.
  2. Take partial derivatives of the function with respect to each variable.
  3. Set the partial derivatives equal to zero and solve the resulting system of equations to find critical points.
  4. Use the second derivative test to determine if the critical points are maximum, minimum, or neither.
  5. Check the endpoints of the domain to see if they yield maximum or minimum values.
  6. Compare the values obtained from the critical points and endpoints to determine the maximum and minimum values of the function.

What are some real-world applications of "Max and min problem with 3 unknowns"?

"Max and min problem with 3 unknowns" are used in various fields such as economics, engineering, physics, and biology. Some examples of real-world applications include optimizing production processes in manufacturing, maximizing profits in business, minimizing cost in transportation systems, and finding the optimal dosage of a drug in medicine.

What are some common techniques used to solve "Max and min problem with 3 unknowns"?

Some common techniques used to solve "Max and min problem with 3 unknowns" include the Lagrange multipliers method, the method of substitution, and the method of elimination. These techniques involve manipulating the equations and variables to find critical points and determine the maximum and minimum values of the function.

What are the key considerations when solving "Max and min problem with 3 unknowns"?

When solving "Max and min problem with 3 unknowns", it is important to carefully define the variables and domain of the function, understand the problem and what is being optimized, and use appropriate techniques and methods to find the maximum and minimum values. It is also important to check the results and ensure they make sense in the context of the problem.